Refugium connection

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanna know what you guys think. Which option?

1) To run a refugium in tandem with the tank and sump - meaning from tank, overflow to sump, flow to refugium and then back to tank?

2) Or run tank and refugium off same sump each with its own return pump and overflow? Making sure there's enough space to allow water should power go off.

3) It doesn't matter how you run it?

The little reefoctopus refugiums(with small DSB) you can buy for a smallish tank that hangs on the tank or sump works like in option 2, so I bought that one and then built a second one with a 4" DSB and cheato (about 100litres) to run off my sump also. Is that ok?

:wave2:

IMO the best would be to have you refugium above the tank, this way pods etc will flow down back to the tank, the benefit of this is that they wont be damaged by the pump impellor on the way to the tank

What is a refugium?:whistling:

It is a seperate tank for the breeding of critters (pod's etc.) and macro algae, also can be used for fish breeding purposes.

We generally run our DSB, Sump and refugium all together.

It is a place where pods and critters can multiply without fish depleting them. You can have it either in your sump with a deep sand bed with live rock and /or cheato algea or you can have it separately in an extra tank linked to your main display.

There is a few version, but the main idea is to an area which can act as a refuge for critter that are easily preyed on. Thus acting as a grow out area for pods etc, you can run algae in it as well. generally has sand, live rock etc

Obviously it helps with filtration as well.

IMO the best would be to have you refugium above the tank, this way pods etc will flow down back to the tank, the benefit of this is that they wont be damaged by the pump impellor on the way to the tank

Makes sense, but for me that won't work - tank in living room with no fish room to hide a refugium above the tank. My pods will just have to wear crash helmets:whistling:

Where is my refugium?
DSC01229.jpg

Back
Top Bottom