refuge

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Stavros, 25 Nov 2010.

1. Stavros

Stavros

hi i have a 12 gallon nano tank with a clown, firefish, goby +a cardinal. Im planning to install a refuge to help with nutrient export, I plan to have Live sand + LR+ Cheateo algae ect. Are their eny particular ways a fuge should be set up?IM planning to grow a pod population. Are their any hints about rearing them? and establishing a strong population.

Also is perspex safe in a reef tank?

also, the 2 pumps that pump water to and from the refuge, 1 pumps downhill and one pumps uphill. Wouldnt the ammount of water "pumped" differ due to the forces of gravity on the pump pushing the water up than the the 1 pumping down hill. Will this cause a flood? as their is no resistance on 1 of the pumps. Just a thought;)

im only 15 years old and taking it 1 step at a time. Just dont want to go to fast and mess it all up, so i thought i betta ask u guys:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

thats alot of fish for 12 gallons.

yes it is

will be near impossible to balance flow of two pumps..so flooding is almost certain.
    What you want to do is use one pump to pump water into your tank and then gravity to feed water from your tank to the fuge. But im assuming your tank isnt drilled? What you could do is have the fuge above the tank and then put a pump inside your tank and have have an overflow in the fuge draining water back to your main tank (this is better for getting pods into your tank as they dont get eaten by the pump).

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No need, the establish themselves.

Yebo

Yebo. for sure. without a doubt.

Now, that is clever...

And I do agree with 459b. In your case it will be better or easier to have your sump above the display. Can even built a standard 3 chamber sump, with skimmer, dsb with cheato and small return chamber...
    There was another reefer who had a small Jebo with a similar sump above his tank. Cannot remember who it was. Anybody, Please help....

5. Stavros

Stavros Thread Starter

thank you for the replies :thumbup:

the only reason i bought the cardinal was because for a long time the clown was the only fish in the tank so he claimed the whole tank to himself. When i added the firefish, all hell broke lose, he wouldnt leave him alone, so i bought a cardinal to divert the aggression and it seams to be working, the clown is not that aggressive anymore.So ill plan to return him later.

With the fuge.i like the idea with the overflow, ill try organize a cabinet above the tank so it doesnt look bad as this tank is in the family room:)

6. Stavros

Stavros Thread Starter

Will this work?

May tank has a built in filtration system were water enters an inlet section, flows through 2 sponges then LR rubble then the water flows into another section were it gets pumped back into the Main tank.

Due to the obvious fact that either the fuge or the main tank will over flow i was planning to have 1 pump pumping water to the display tank, then ill drill a hole in the back. The theory is that they will balance each other out.

If this doesnt work what methods do u guys use?

i cant have the fuge ontop

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

your question has already been answered.

8. Stavros

Stavros Thread Starter

must i have my LR ontop of my LS? does it matter? or should i have the LR in its own section? or must i just suspend the rock off the sand with egg crates?

Thanks.

Rob

Recent Posts