Refractometer

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by ThaneF, 21 Oct 2010.

1. ThaneF

ThaneF

I have been running my RSM 130D tank now for around 5 months. After some really weird readings from my hydrometer I decided that it was time to look for a refactometer. After looking around and calling the sponsors I found that it would cost around R900. I thought about it and started to search the net and I found a refractometer, with shipping and handeling/import duties set me back R250 TOTAL and two and a half weeks of waiting... how can it cost 4 times the amount for the same thing in this country!?!... well I just thought that I'd share my experience with you guys out there.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Send link so we can see brand, specs, etc

4. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

[​IMG]

About model RHS10ATC:
    This model has a built-in automatic temperature compensation system. It can be used for controlling the saltwater concentration when preparing pickles, measuring the concentration of saltwater used in rinsing sea products or in cooking, or for seawater checks.

Measuring range: 0-10% Salinity

Resolution Factor: 0.1% Salinity

Compensation temperature range: 10-30ºC

Remark:
    All RHS models use ambient light, no battery or power source is required, making them truly portable. Models with the "ATC" suffix are equipped with "Automatic Temperature Compensation" for accurate measurements without recalibration after shifts in ambient working temperature (field use).
    Included are: a pipette for dropping test fluids onto the prism (never dip the refractometer into the test fluid!), a mini screwdriver for scale calibration, and a Users Guide

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi, ive also seen them very cheap to be imported, but one has to take 2000 units and have a importers code. .

The importer buys it in bulk and sells large quantities to a wholeseller, with a markup who sells it to a retailer in smaller quantities, with a markup , who sells them individuly to the consumer, with a markup, = R900.00

If you can find it that cheap though, Kudos to you.

6. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

Hi ThaneF. Where did you get it? I'm interested in one as well.

7. Ross

Ross

At the prices we pay for things (not just Marine) we should get a free tub of Vaseline so it does not hurt so much when we get shafted!

8. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

Lol, don't think that even the Vaseline would help with all prices we pay...
    I wonder if we'll get a tub for when we have to pay to get to and from work...

9. Ross

Ross

As a sponsor this is how you loose customers. You should be trying to get things at a better price for us and not trying to justify you ridiculous prices. I think your post was so uncalled for.... what you are justifying with is you 100% markup at every stop of the way.

Remind me not to even think about your store when looking for stuff cause you just admitted to screwing your customers.

Kudos to you....

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

What I find very weird in this whole process is that the same item at 5 different shops is exactly the same price. Now if I was a shop and wanted the guys to buy from me, I would cut my profit margin a little bit to make it a few bucks cheaper than my competitors and make more guys buy from me. But yet no one does. Why is this?

I dont want to start arguments here but I would just like to know.

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's a bit narrow minded, retailers have overheads such as rent, staff, stock etc. to pay for, plus after they've paid all their real life bills (of which an online shop has none) then they still need to be able to live. What you need to be voicing your opinion about is the wholesalers, not the retailers. Unfortunately there is too much of a monopoly in this country with regards to wholesalers and can therefore dictate their prices to the retailers due to there being no competition, if the retailer says no I'm not buying from you then he's screwed as there are no other wholesalers that he can get the majority of his stock from.

12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Ross, This is a open forem where everyone can ask a question , and that thread starting question was
    " how can it cost 4 times the amount for the same thing in this country!?!... "

I now see why other sponsors dont answer these types of threads, which is a pity because there is allot of interesting feed back withheld.

What i dont see is how me answering the question asked makes us the retailer offering you a explanation should offend you , its been said that the retail price is R900 which has been stated as been the price in a few shops, so this should not single us out.
    In fact i was never asked for a quote on this product nor did i quote a amount , i simply gave the process that make our country more expensive that the factor in china that sells it.
    :wave2:

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Oct 2010
  13. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Looks like ive been in the firing line on this thread allready, so might as well answer your question aswell.

Some suppliers have a recomended retail price given to the shops they supply.( which is not 100 % )

Which means if I wanted to get products i dont usualy keep on the shelf , and want to advertice it realy cheap to make a quick buck, i whouldnt screw the larger retail stores out of a there future bussines on this particular line.

This Recomended Retail price protects the shops that have bought 6 of the items and have money tied up on the shelf untill it sells, and now probably wouldnt sell because its sold over the phone for extreamly low markup to get volume sales by someone who doesnt pay large rentals to give the custimer a full stock selection and shoping experience.

However it doesnt mean if you called that shop for a quote , they cant offer you whatever discount they can afford, so once youve been quoted , ASK FOR DISCOUNT.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Oct 2010
  14. seank

seank

:lol:

Now that is nicely explained- All I can say is- Boycott the Wholesalers :thumbup:

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Thanks perky breasts, i mean pets.

16. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

LOL, Maby "Perky Pecs"

17. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i can see where you comming from sean....but also consider this;)

i wanna see people say that when they looking for stock of chillers or top branded items urgently and there is no stock available and you have to import an item like that once off

no wholesaler is going to stay open if he just sells the stuff thats really expensive to import like a chiller, lighting hood etc etc

i recently did a test and investigated some overseas purchases.....
    3 weeks ago i purchased 5 items from an overseas company
    1) tunze pik stick
    2)giesemann mh globe
    3) aquamedic heater 300watt titanium
    4) shuran arcylic camera box
    5) hydor automatic fish feeder

i paid on the 22 september and recieved the stuff on the 18 october....all in good order and at least half the price i would have paid here.........
    the vat on a R2000 order for some reason was only R70......something fishy there:p

so this time i scored but a few years back i purchased some items....paid for 2 over all the items and only recieved one.........when i confronted the online store via e-mail i was called i liar etc etc.

anyhow upon investigating how my recent order landed so cheap.....i found that no tax
    is paid in the country of origin , and that if a importer in sa were to import globes.....he has to pay a duty of 30% aswell as vat on the invoice total, aswell as a percentage that is about 20% to get electrical approval / sabs approval certificates to be able to sell the electrical items in the country.

so yeah if you wanna go that route....why not, just remember though if the local agents arent making money, they gonna pull out........then we back to 10 years ago when all the awesome skimmers, computors, lightigng hoods etc etc available at the time etc etc were only dreams in our heads and not something you could go get from the lfs at any time. or afford for that matter

shit i remeber going to my first lfs when i started marines....and they tried to sell me a spectrapure r.o.unit for R3800..........and told it would take 4 weeks to arrive and i would need to pay upfront.........cause there were no r.o.units around at the time
    i just laughed as i had a container of spares that i could make r.o.units with....:thumbup:

differant though with electrical items......trust me do some research.....taxes etc etc are hectic.....

however with that said....bare in mind that in march the new consumer act gets moved from being a gazzette and placed into legislation......so you can kiss importing items like that over the net good buy.

just out of intrest, the law that is being put in place protects the consumers.....should any item cause harm / fire etc etc, the consumer can claim 10% of the manufacturers annual turnover and be supported by law in court.
    also cell phone companies will not be able to bind you into any long term contracts etc etc, you will have the right to pull out at anytime as long as the handset fee is paid in full etc etc

bottom line is yeah people are making money.....but would we all be in bussiness and have jobs if the companies we owned or worked for were not making money......

profit is not a sin...............as long as you not raping the end user......
    so before statements get made that say wholesalers and sponsers rip people off......maybe do the investigation to find out what it costs to import the goods as a wholesaler (legally)....you may be supprised to find the wholesaler makes a maximum of 20%.....that is to finace the item, insure the item, house the item, ship the item, and replace the item should it be faulty.........

by the way...thaneF....that was an awesome buy

Last edited: 22 Oct 2010
  18. keyaam

keyaam

Good points Marco. Last week I went looking for a few goods and got it for half the price at a different LFS. They purchase from the same Wholesaler so I guess their markups are just high.

19. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

I was expecing some sort of reaction but not all of this.
    I do understand that people need to "live" and feed the family, live in a house etc etc but on a device that costs $20 and you add say 20% for import duties, 20% profit and then a further 50% for profit you get to 90% so even at 100% markup they should only cost around R500 so who/where is ripping us off. If one busy 2000 of these things, I'm very sure it'll cost less than $20 to start off with but that is just my 2 cents worth.
    Chillers that are heavy, I do agree, with shipping they should be expensive but a refractometer weighs almost nothing.

I glad that I was able to add another tool to my tank to improve the quality of my water for my "inmates"

20. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Suggested retail price, and everyone gets most of their stuff from the same supplier.

21. shrimpman

shrimpman

Salinity Refractometer (how much).

Hello to all out there, Just compare price, refractometer over the net ordered on sunday 17-10-2010, at my front door tuesday 19-10-2010 at 11am dhl,d&d h20cean atc,cost £32-50 all in. (£45-00 in my local lfs).Shrimpman.

Recent Posts