Refractometer Calibration

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Forgotten how to calibrate my Refractometer. It had something to do with a certain amount of RO water and salt. Please help.

Rod

Shrimp
Reaction score
Refractometer

This may help.

Last edited:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Warren if i am not mistaken you use RO/DI to get it to the bottom reading ie 0. May be wrong here as i have never done it.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr, you take a few drops of RO/DI and put it on the prism - no salt - close and look into it. Adjust it till back at 0 (small screw on top). Suck up tank water and test - accurate reading.
I calibrate mine everytime before I measure my tank and the make-up water - just to be safe. I rinse the prism with the new water to be tested by holding the refractometer with the prism facing down and slow squirt water over prism and tilting glass - just to get rid of dust and/or drops from "other" water and so my readings aren't affected. I sometimes calibrate, test tank water and then make-up water all after each other. :wave2:

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Warren if i am not mistaken you use RO/DI to get it to the bottom reading ie 0. May be wrong here as i have never done it.
Warr, you take a few drops of RO/DI and put it on the prism - no salt - close and look into it. Adjust it till back at 0 (small screw on top). Suck up tank water and test - accurate reading.
I calibrate mine everytime before I measure my tank and the make-up water - just to be safe. I rinse the prism with the new water to be tested by holding the refractometer with the prism facing down and slow squirt water over prism and tilting glass - just to get rid of dust and/or drops from "other" water and so my readings aren't affected. I sometimes calibrate, test tank water and then make-up water all after each other. :wave2:
Guys I only have a reading of 1 as the lowest. Is this a mistake on your part or does my Refractometer have a digit missing ?

Geordie

Damsel
Reaction score
Guys I only have a reading of 1 as the lowest. Is this a mistake on your part or does my Refractometer have a digit missing ?
the very bottom line should show

specific gravity 1.000................ ppm 0

Calibrate it to this line mate

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Calibration so that RO or RO/DI or distilled water = 0 is one way to calibrate but not the best because the refractometer could still be a bit out if say 1ppm shows as 1.1ppm, by the time you're looking at 35 ppm it will show as 38.5ppm. The better way to calibrate is using a sample with a known ppm around the range you would usually be testing at, ie 35 or so. This is why the "experts" calibrate with a mixture of known quantities rather than at 0.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Calibration so that RO or RO/DI or distilled water = 0 is one way to calibrate but not the best because the refractometer could still be a bit out if say 1ppm shows as 1.1ppm, by the time you're looking at 35 ppm it will show as 38.5ppm. The better way to calibrate is using a sample with a known ppm around the range you would usually be testing at, ie 35 or so. This is why the "experts" calibrate with a mixture of known quantities rather than at 0.
That sounds like what I was originally told. But what is the measurements of the mixture that needs to be made up?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
You will need a rather accurate scale. Look at what it says you must mix the salt to on the packet/box/bucket, ie. 35g per liter or something then do that really accurately, mix properly and test.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
You will need a rather accurate scale. Look at what it says you must mix the salt to on the packet/box/bucket, ie. 35g per liter or something then do that really accurately, mix properly and test.
I'll try it out