Reeftrooper’s Aqua galaxy

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Reeftrooper, 22 Jan 2018.

1. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

Black and yellow tangs, numbers tbc
    2X Orange ocellaris clowns
    Pygmy OR coral beauty dwarf angelfish

Sand-sifting goby
    ⅔ strawberry dottybacks

2x fireshrimp
    2x peppermintshrimp
    2x cleanershrimp

Blue hermits x6?
    Snails-variousx10?

And maybe a blue spot jawfish a month or two later...

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
    tekkengal and Dian6430 like this.
  2. Guest

3. Dian6430

Dian6430

When the tank has aged a bit and build up of copods im definitely also adding leopard wrasses to my tank. You adding any blennies or wrasses?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tangs are like people. All different.
    Some will co-exists for years. Other only get along a couple of days. Some never.

Even when you had them a couple of years, you are not guaranteed that all will keep on being OK.
    David Saxby got a 13000+ L system. He had a shoal 22 yellow tangs and after many years they did start to take each other out.
    https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/david-saxbys-ultimate-reef-tank

Reeftrooper and Dian6430 like this.
  5. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

61D37BAB-C639-4514-86BC-FC4A9C1FC120.jpeg 9F1D86B6-8D81-43BE-A8F8-8915E1A88DEE.jpeg 73E3D4FA-34E3-4AB5-ADCB-9C4120DF775D.jpeg 73E3D4FA-34E3-4AB5-ADCB-9C4120DF775D.jpeg Weekend developments. Added two large shells, some pyramids and a ball of chaeto. And my clown started hosting in an anemone I added last Tuesday (in a different tank, of course) :m06:

2F625761-4657-4660-B4F7-7424CCDC8A0F.jpeg

tekkengal likes this.
  6. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

My params, just over 3 weeks in-

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Ca 430
    Mg 1440
    Alk 5.9

Dosing Foundation KH over next 3 days.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i wouldent stress too much about the kh other than trying to assess how much dosages inflence values at this stage, you have some time still so get to know the system

the values above are all excellent, its maintaining those values that will become the longterm challence, remember what you put in (food) must come out so try to manage input and offset it with skimming and nutrient removal methods (antiphos and nitrate removal) i know a bio pellet reactor is on the cards still..

on the bio pellet make sure you can offer this particular unit back up power in the event of a power outage, effects of a restarted reactor flushing hydrogen sulphide can be catastrophic! the unit must remain powered through a loadshed or unplanned outage! one point on the cheato, it often does succumb to the stripping of nutrients through carbon sorce filtration ( in this case the pellets), so dont be alarmed if you see this withering away just be consious that it is a possible cause before you panic :)

great results so far stefan, you can also reduce lighting during the initial phases of maturing or untill you get a need to illuminate the ststem (addidion of coral etc)

8. leslie hempel

jawfish being ore temperate id wait and research, these are beautiful rare fish who command a higher price, they are more temperate and id look at waiting for the chiller to arrive or at the very least introduce in the winter months..

9. leslie hempel

Reeftrooper likes this.
  10. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

Thanks for all the help and advice @leslie hempel. Know I’ve asked a lot of really stupid questions but I think its all starting to come together!

Still going to need an in depth step-by-step tutorial on the skimmer, everytime I switch it in its a volcanic water eruption!

Should I be testing phosphates at this point?

Illumination is 10-12 hours/day for the sump and at night on occasion for my viewing pleasure only.

Guess I have to start researching UPS/generators next... Any advice?

11. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

Noted on the jawfish.

The Orchid looks like a trained assasin compared to the strawberry, definitely an alternative I will consider!

12. leslie hempel

i would advise the use of a battery back up the mercer nverter was very reasonable @ R1400 these days and Deep cycle batteries are around R2000ea, you do not have to run everything just critical equipment, personally i would run: Return pump, skimmer 1 x internal flow pump and the biopellet reactor (in your case).

13. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

Parameter update-
    SG- 1.024
    dKH- 7.0
    Ca- 440
    Mg- 1400
    Nitrate- 2
    Ammonia- 0
    Phosphate- 0
    Temp 25.1

Can the more experienced reefers please comment on what the ideal dKH is for a mixed reef consisting of fish, soft coral and LPS, which is what I am going to be keeping. Advice on the forum states between 6 and 9, but there is a vast range inbetween, want to know what exact value I should be aiming for...

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator

nice setup, backup power is just as critical as a skimmer for equipment, rather go bigger than you need and as Les stated only run the bare minimum, i would have enough to run return pump and small heater for winter. With efficient pumps now i would look at skimmer and vortechs too.

As for your fish selection will work but in that size tank i wouldnt add to many tangs as they will fight later on.
    You obviously know the price of black tangs right?

15. OP
    Reeftrooper

Reeftrooper

Thanks @dallasg I have heard that they are very pricey, haven’t seen any exact quotes yet though. Maybe just the one then...

Recent Posts