Reeftek TS2 going balistic!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by scottyD, 13 Dec 2014.

1. scottyD

scottyD

I need help / advice...new setup having just filled the system with RO water and mixing in the salt about 2 days ago. Installed the TS2 skimmer and the thing is skimming as if it is the end of the world if it does not fill the cup within 1 minute.

Advice on what to do?
    I have lifted the skimmer with egg crate and currently the feeding pump is barely submerged. But no, this thing is engineered (it seems like) to also skim if it is almost running dry :( ***?

It seems like i'll never need to do water changes again, seeing that this skimmer is doing it for me :m85:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you lowered the outlet pipe?

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
  4. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

Low low low...as low as it can go. It has since settled a bit but still pumping like crazy.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a picture says a thousand words.

How deep is the skimmer in the water?

6. Brad Cottle

Brad Cottle

I have found out if I added filter floss or put a new filter sock in it would make the skimmer go mad for a while

7. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The water level is just above the inlet pipe.

Luckily it has started to be a bit more relaxed during the day - as per the photo.
    Threw out the skimmer cup a few times. The collected "stuff" is still not containing "heavy" solids. It is however a previously used tank pipes and sump.

Maybe it went bonkers because of the stuff that remained everywhere that disolved into the watercolumn.

8. viper357

Something doesn't look right, the black neck in the skimmer, sort of halfway up, are those bubbles inside there? Big ones I mean? It looks almost like a second skimmer cup?

9. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

It is a removable cone that fits inside. Some gunk washes there as well. Isnt that standard on all reeftek TSes?

10. viper357

Have you got it upside down? The cone must be pointing upwards.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, that black part above the cone, siphon it out with airline hose. Just do not get it into your mouth.

12. CameL

CameL

the inside section of the skimmer cup must touch that inside black cone, essentially closing off that middle part, that picture looks as if it is skimming into that cone section and not into the skimmer cup, maybe take a picture without the skimmer cup, i agree with what has been said looks as if maybe that cone section is upside down.

13. Mewik

Mewik

If the system is new there wont really be anything to skim out and the skimmer will tend to overflow for the first few days. I have also found the new salt mix sometimes leaves a residue inside of the skimmer that hampers skimming. Also if the skimmer is new it will have to go through a run in period to remove any oils etc that are left over from manufacturing/handling.

When all else fails I usually run the skimmer in vinegar for a few hours and then in some RO water. That breaks down any oils that are in the skimmer faster than they would break down just running in the tank.

14. Mewik

Mewik

You will also get a bit of a better result out of the TS2 if you fit a t-piece on the inlet pipe on the inside of the skimmer body. You can just buy one that fits onto the existing pipe. It helps increase the contact time between the bubbles and water...how much I dont know, but for the cost of a t-piece it is worth doing. I am semi certain it improved my skimmer just a wee bit!

15. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

So after a few days it has started to chill quite a bit. I also slowed down with adding some chems and bacteria. Saw on the back of a bottel Prime that adding it to a system does not affect the skimmer. Perhaps this (so I) was partly to blame with adding some stuff to the system that made it go crazy.
    @Mewik will do the t-piece conversion at some stage.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts