Reefstudent's 1.2m

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by ReefStudent, 10 Oct 2014.

1. ReefStudent

ReefStudent

Hi fellow Reefers,

I haven’t posted in such a long time due to time constraints that I just decided to start a new thread for this tank.

A bit of history:
    So I started in February 2013 by giving up my then hi-tech freshwater-planted tank in order to get my feet wet in more salty water (Best choice I have ever made by the way).
    I started this journey with a 150L (50x50x50) cube and that lasted me around 3 months before I had the need to go bigger. The sad part is that a lot of people suggested that I start a lot bigger but due to financial constraints (being a student and all) I started with what I could.

[​IMG]

Around 3 months into my adventure I doubled the tank volume by changing my freshwater tank into my next marine tank (122x50x50). Changed the silicon and drilled it to be able to add a sump. And I was happy with the space but it being a freshwater that was transformed, it had its issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I have now:
    In April this year (2014) I got the opportunity to buy a tank of a very similar size from a fellow reefer when he shut down and this decision was made because this tank was actually build as a marine tank. With the change I bought a tank that is 122x60x60 and included in the deal was a 50x50x50 cube again. The sump on this tank is 90x40x40 and feeds both tanks from two different pumps. This thus is my current system with a total water volume of around 600L.

[​IMG]

Main display tank:
    122x60x60 (400L about)
    Around 80kg Live Rock
    2x 90w Pharos LED units
    2x WP40 Jebao wave pumps
    Coast-to-Coast overflow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Extended Cube:
    50x50x50 (120L about)
    Around 10kg Live Rock
    1x 90w Pharos LED unit
    1x WP25 Jebao wave pumps
    Slim overflow

[​IMG]

Sump:
    90x40x40 (100L about)
    Around 40kg of Live Rock
    1x Sicce SS2.0 uplift pump that feeds the cube
    1x Jebao DC12000 uplift pump that feeds the main display
    2x Jager 300w heaters
    Skimz SM201 skimmer (rated 2000L)
    Hailea HC-500A Chiller (Rated 1200L)
    At all times I try to keep my ORCA Nitra-Guard Bio Cubes at 1Liter (top up around 250ml every 6 months)
    1Liter ORCA Diamond Carbon that gets replaced in 100ml intervals every 2 weeks.
    500ml Seachem Phosguard (High flow of the water coming into the sump)
    2x Seio Prop 320 flow pumps to keep detritus suspended

Fish & Inverts:
    Main Display:
    1x Lieutenant Tang
    1x Red sea Desjardini Sailfin tang
    1x Convict Tang
    1x Kole Tang
    1x Banggai Cardinal
    3x Blue Green Reef Chromis
    3x Yellow Tail Blue Chromis
    3x Sea Goldie Anthias
    1 x Sergeant Major
    1 x Yellow Wrasse
    3x False Percula Clownfish
    2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    An army of hermits
    1x Yellow Bubble tip Anemone (dinner plate size)

Cube:
    1x Convict Tang (Small) that will move to the main display when it gets size
    1x Sergeant Major
    4x Local gobies
    1x Purple short spike urchin
    1x Red Fire Shrimp
    1x Green Bubble tip Anemone (dessert plate size)
    1x Porcelain anemone crab
    2x Fan tubeworms
    Smaller army of hermits

Some Corals:
    Bubble Coral (Pearl)
    Purple Candy Cane
    Green tip torch coral
    Yellow tip Branching torch coral
    Kenya tree Leather
    Cabbage Leather
    Green Pin Cushion (Dessert Plate)
    Brown Pin Cushion (Small)
    Assorted Zoas
    Purple and Blue Mushrooms
    Purple Hairy Mushrooms
    Normal GSP
    Metallic GSP
    This is all I can remember now. I will add anything I can remember as and when I remember them.

Thank you for reading through this entire story and I will make it my mission to update, post and be more visible on the forum to improve my knowledge and skills.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Wow really a journey but you came out ontop well done for sticking it out. Hows the pharos units treating you?

4. ReefStudent

ReefStudent Thread Starter

They are really amazing lights. I had two and bought a new one just 2 weeks ago, just because they are so nice

5. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

@ReefStudent your tank is looking awesome. I got the same lights they do the job.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. NJH

NJH

Looking good there!

7. Francois

Francois

8. ReefStudent

@Blue Reefer at what intensity do you have them (what is your light schedule)
    @Francois Thanx... Yes it really is time. its really taking shape now. Need to fill the top shelf with some sticks! :whistling:

9. ReefStudent

10. ReefStudent

Hi fellow reefers.

Due to some unfortunate changes, I had to empty my tanks to move them. This however gives me the opportunity to "start over".

As sad as it was to drain my tank, I am looking forward to the change. Obviously the pictures will follow the second I have some time to post them.

I am looking into going for a LPS dominated tank with some of my favourite softies staying and going for some sticks on top of the reef.

The questions that I have now is...
    1) What type of flow am I looking at with this combination?
    2) Will 2 Pharos 90w units suffice or should I add the 3rd one? (Was thinking about going hybrid)
    3) Is a dosing pump a need or a luxury with a lps and sps system (I should most probably take into consideration that I work long hours?)

Other questions will obviously also follow as time goes by, but these are my main concerns

Thank you for helping out

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

1) What type of flow am I looking at with this combination?
    A lot of water movement. Not blasting directly on the corals. Gyre flow is better.

2) Will 2 Pharos 90w units suffice or should I add the 3rd one? (Was thinking about going hybrid)
    Scrolling up to your tank picture, 2 units does look like they are enough. Adding a third will not be really needed, but you can if you want later

3) Is a dosing pump a need or a luxury with a lps and sps system (I should most probably take into consideration that I work long hours?)
    Depends if you do the dosing manually everyday or not. It will become a schlep, especially when you are away for a week, trusting the tank sitter to dose correctly. So for now, its a luxury, pretty soon it will become a need.

12. ReefStudent

Good Morning Reefers,

Some news and updates. My tank is officially running a month again and I have indeed made some changes. To start off with, I have changed the rockwork because of my fear of sediment settling behind the rocks in the corner.

I have also upgraded my 2x WP40 to 2x RW8. I NEED ADVICE WITH WHERE TO PLACE THEM OPTIMALLY (REFER TO PICTURES PLEASE)
    Then I have set on my journey to make my tank LPS dominated. I have thus in the meantime acquired more corals, of which I have frogspawn and a hammer. Also got another candy cane.

I have some more questions with regards to dosing and a fudge... but lets start off with flow...

Thank you for your inputs.

Oh BTW @RiaanP I have purchased a triple doser for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

3rd picture, is that an Aiptasia at the back?

14. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Looking good - time for a beer I think...

15. ReefStudent

@RiaanP yes that is aptasia. Unfortunately

16. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

My recommendation on your flow would be to move the pump in the left cornerdown 2 cm and have it facing the front glass slightly angled so that flow bounces off the front panel and moves to the right.
    The pump currently in the back right corner: ideal placement would be in the front right corner, angled toeards the back panel, but pointing slightly inwards, height as high up as possible without water movement breaking surface, then i would add a third pump in the back right corner, pushing flow behind rockwork but angled slightly upwards.
    If you dont want an unsightly pump on or close to your front pane, my suggestion would be to move the pump currently in back right hand corner as far down as you can without creating a sandstorm, pushing flow behind rockwork but angled slightly upward.
    The way you have flow currently, it is pushing water away from your overflow and downwards... Which, considering shallow depth of your sandbed, could be contributing to your NO3 being higher than you want it.
    You want to delivery of particulate organic matter to your filter sock and skimmer to be as effective as possible and minimize settling in tank.

Recent Posts