Reefsafe Trigger fish?

Reaction score
Guys,

Are there any reefsafe triggers that get along well with other fish?

-E

Hi Elrond, the Blue Throat Trigger is generally regarded as Reef safe.

Alan currently has one in his tank.

I have both the niger and blue throat in my tank and so far both have been model citizens

As i say they been model citizens, just remember all fish have their own personalities.

I have both the niger and blue throat in my tank and so far both have been model citizens

lol....now thats what i like to hear........i have always been a defender of the trigger family personalities........
lol, never thought i would here those words come out of alans mouth.......
how do they say it alan....the proof is in the pudding hay....lol
well done awesome to hear you enjoying the fish with the most spectacular personality in the sea.....:clap:

my luck the trigger will gobble everything in the tank up incl my powerheads. Could you keep a clown trigger with say a emp. angel in a FOWL system?

hmm, I have booked a Niger Trigger... cant decide if I should risk it or not, its not overly large at this stage however.. I obviously like my shrimps and hermits! :(

-E

ive got a baby blackbar trigger in my tank.so far he appears to be fine,not touching any of the corals

As with all "Non reef safe" you will be taking a risk as each fish is an individual.

Very often they are fine for months - even years !! - and suddenly turn destructive.

A trigger could do tremendous damage to a well stocked reef tank.

So think long and hard - there certainly are success stories - like Alan's - but just as many horror stories.

My Picasso chewed through the heater cable - in my old fish only- and managed to kill himself and everything else in the tank.

This after having been a "model" citizen for months.

My Picasso chewed through the heater cable - in my old fish only- and managed to kill himself and everything else in the tank.

This after having been a "model" citizen for months.

damn thats hectic.didnt know these triggers could be so crazy

hmm, I have booked a Niger Trigger... cant decide if I should risk it or not, its not overly large at this stage however.. I obviously like my shrimps and hermits! :(

-E
Have had 2 niger's and neither of them touched my cleaner shrimps. So i would say your shrimps are fairly safe.

I had this conversation with Adriaan the other day about triggers as he is getting me a clown trigger, I was concerned about it destoying my tank but he told me that it would be o.k as he has a few clients with clown triggers in their setups with no problems at all.

I got a picasso and his doing fine. He is scared of my yellowtail damsel though

I had this conversation with Adriaan the other day about triggers as he is getting me a clown trigger, I was concerned about it destoying my tank but he told me that it would be o.k as he has a few clients with clown triggers in their setups with no problems at all.

I've got a Clown Trigger in my system along with 2 Coral Bandit shrimps. He has never touched them from the time ive got them (+- 10 months).
Remember, I feed heavy (Not overfeeding) and found that by feeding Triggers and Angels alot, they keep away from inverts.

niger trigger Reef safe, shrimp safe
blue throat trigger Reef safe, some of them my like shrimps(depending on personality)
clown trigger Reef safe....but can be destructive depending on personality

Niger trigger

I have a niger triger for about 5yrs now. Have its with Softies, LPS, various Shrimp, Clams and starfish (incl brittle stars).

Never misbehaved, ever. But then again each one has its own personality.

I have read that a blue throat is reef safe as well. I lost mine however, since he woud'nt eat from the day I bought him.

Back
Top Bottom