ReefOcto TS1 Help needed pls

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Jaco Schoeman, 24 Nov 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys

I have a ReefOcto TS1. I need your advice on one or two issues.

1) The skimmer is making it's small air bubbles, but every second or so it makes a big "blump" noise and a bigger bubble in between the rest. I have two pipes from the overflow running into that compartment, and Lanzo suggested that the pump is sucking in bigger bubbles from there; but even if I move the skimmer away from there, it still does that. I have turned the skimmer on it's head, yet it still doses this. Is this a problem and if so, how do I fix it?

2) I REALLY need to get this skimmer to work like a demon... I am feeding Cyclop-Eeze, Phyto and Zoo three times a day, but the skimmer is really just making the inner tube of the cup "dirty"... I do not have much fish, only three Firefish and my tank is a 280litre system, but still, you'd think with all the feeding it would skimm like crazy.

How could I make it skimm better? I have seen the mod thread, but have no idea of what the hell that person is talking about.:p I currently have the TS1 submerged in flat on the sump floor at about 23cm depth of water. Would lifting it up help anything?

Please give me some advise...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Jaco - doesn't the water level rise and fall, as you move the adjusting pipe upwards (to make the internal water level rise), and move the adjusting pipe downwards (to lower the internal water level).....

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yes, that I do, even untill it spills out that little overflow hole thingy, but it still does not create the amount of foam I was hoping it would. The cup cap gets a bit of foam, but that really is where it ends. That together with the dark green dirt on the inside of the cup tube,but nothing in the cup itself.

Dont really wanna skimm too wet, but I was hoping for a tad more foam...;)

5. Sentari

Sentari

Jaco what i have done with mine is pushed the pipe all the way down and raise the skimmer by using eggcrate.

It then starts to skim so that the bubbles rise just up to where the cup starts. When that happens you'll begin to see that it will skim nice and dry! You'll start getting some nice skimmate. I'm currently having problems with mine as i have upgraded the pump to a OTP-1000 on my reeftek TS1. Having problems that the bubbles are moving up and down and i cant get it to stabalise but i think its something to do with the Ventrui.

Good luck!

6. FransSny

FransSny

Jaco have you checked for obstructions / blockages. On your system I would skim rather whet anyways

7. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Is it a brand new skimmer?

If yes, you should rinse it out with vinegar before using it to get rid of manufacturing oils.

Otherwise,

how old is the tank? how long have you been using that particular skimmer?

Recent Posts