Reefocto BH1000 skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by shrimp, 8 Jul 2009.

1. shrimp

shrimp

Just got my BH1000 HOB skimmer and would like some advise from those in the know .... I am basically hanging on back of my tank with skimmer body/pump outside of tank (ie only inlet and return enter/exit in tank) ... they say to PRIME the skimmer you need to add 8" (ie 28 cm) of water to skimmer body, close airline tube until water in skimmer body rises and exists return to tank, then release airline tube and then bubbles will be formed ... I want to know do I add additional/new water to skimmer body or existing tank water ... I do not want to add more water than my DT can handle should there be a power failure ... see attached link of similar setup .... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1647762&highlight=Reef+ Octopus+hob+skimmers

I do not have a sump so my DT needs to accomodate ALL water in case of power failure .... :p (stupid) question, if the power goes off, assume the pump will not siphon/suck water out of the skimmer body and onto floor ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No Shrimp - this has never happened to mine..... BOTH the inlet (pump) and outlet is inside my small tank.... there's no way that the water can go out of the skimmer. Water only follows the path of least resistance, and will never move upwards.... by method of siphoning nor of gravity...

werner5 likes this.
  4. shrimp

shrimp Thread Starter

and the pump at bottom of skimmer body (that is outside of the tank) will not allow water to seep through it if power off (ie, it is like a 1 directional valve type thing)

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No Shrimp - the water will not go anywhere. It does not have a one-directional valve though. BUT, due to the dynamics of water, the water that's inside the skimmer will stay there, a little bit will drain out back to the tank, but not all.

6. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

i agree.

7. inflames

inflames

Safe there Shrimp...the guys are right! Dont worry about water all over the floor!:razz:

Recent Posts