Reefkeeping - a financial blackhole?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Jubs, 29 Jul 2009.

1. Jubs

Jubs

I feel depressed :(

I want to upgrade my Boyu after only a couple of month's. But the lessons I have learned in this short space in time let me wonder if this hobby is worth the investment in time, effort and money. I ask the question because of all the costly mistakes I have made before I learned about them. For example - my fish got the itch and only now do I learn about a QT! It is not a nice experience to remove the remains of your favourite animal...

Now I am to afraid to move forward...

With all the knowledge you have gained in this hobby, will you start again if you had a choice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

Hang in there bro, we all get the reefkeeping blues at some point! Yes I would start again, it would just be a better start without the previous mistakes. Also bear in mind that it's more difficult to keep the system stable in a nano...

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Jubs - I agree 100% with Jaak. In the end, it is of course your decision. But, we would not like seeing a reefer "breaking up". Everyone goes through a time that they feel that it might possibly not be worth the effort.

Believe me - I felt like that, not TOOOoooo long ago. For a week or so..... I lost a lot of fish, not too long ago. And I have been keeping marines for nearly 4 years.....

BUT, as I said - luckily the "feeling" only lasted a week..... and afterwards, I felt better again.

So - please do try and find the courage to go on. Believe me - in the end, it is all indeed worth it.....

5. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Keep the faith dude;)

Nano tanks are not easy to keep because they require a lot of time and maintenance. You cannot skip any maintenance or waterchanges.
    I've never had a big marine tank (would love to upgrade SOON!!!!) but I understand that conditions are a lot more stable in bigger tanks.
    So maybe a nano was just not the right tank for you.

To answer your question, yes I would definately do it again. I'd just do even more research beforehand.

6. werner5

werner5

dude i also felt like that i lost all my fish a couple of weeks ago because of white spot i only had one survivor it was a damsel but further i lost everything including a cleaner shrimp but i am still going on and getting my tank back on track again so ya it is defintly worth it :thumbup:

7. Broder

Broder Mudshark

The more you learn, the more confident you become. Learning is part of the fun of this hobby. The ocean is such a largely unexplained dimension, that we'll never know everything that there is to know. We can just try to perfect our little piece of this ocean. Sometimes the lessons sting, but it would only be a waste if you give up now that you've learnt this much.

8. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I know this feeling all too well, being a student i dont have that much money, but after three months i already had idees of upgrading, i started upgrading about three months ago and do only about two things a month because of money constraints so when i see this empty tank in my garage i often feel the blues and ive thaught of selling what i have done so far a few times but i know im hooked so no point in selling or quiting

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey Jubs - I bet you looking like your avatar now - grumpy and unsure of what to do! But heed what the others have said in the previous posts - Sit back and think about this : the very fact that you asked us about continuing and picking up the pieces and coming back stronger and more knowledgeable than before says to me that you got faith in yourself and care deeply for these awesome creatures of the sea! Sure we all have losses and make mistakes the important thing is to learn from these mistakes and not repeat them and think about one more - what could be more gratifying than reading a poor newbies post of how he about to make a mistake made by you but YOU prevent him from doing so and in turn help him create a long life for these stunning beauties of the sea! So yeah dude stick with the hobby - take your time - you dont have to be spending $$$$! Just dont make the same mistakes and take it slow! Ask before you do something - there are no stupid questions here in our family! Enjoy the hob by dude the rewards are endless!

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Jubs hang in thr it is not easy to keep a nano because of the maintenance requirements, maybe you need a bigger tank...

11. emteey

emteey

Hi Jubs,

I can't quote about upgrading equipment or losing any animals as I do not have my tank yet. But what I've learnt on this forum so far is that no matter how far ahead you plan or how long you have been in the game, there will come a time that an upgrade or replacement of livestock will be inevitable. I suppose one must just try and minimize these unfortunate times; and like so many of the peeps have said, learn from that experience so that you can move forward and become even more knowledgeable regarding this hobby.

12. marine101

marine101

I think it is worth it. Going 6 years now and moving next year, and yes, yes, yes, will definately b starting another next year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there, its a wonderful hobby with wonderful friends. I'm not sure what I would do without the hobby....get a life I suppose! :biggrin: We've all made mistakes, we've all lost livestock.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hang in there, happened to most of us - learn from it as to ''what NOT to do''
    Read and learn from others as well, be patient and enjoy this wonderful hobby.
    And yes, I'll start over a thousand times if I have to!
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. Jubs

Jubs Thread Starter

Thank you for the encouraging words. Despite all the discipline that is required for success in this hobby, you will do it again (if I can take this as general consensus among reefers).

Ok, let met setup a quarantine tank and save the remaining fish. When I upgrade, I will keep the Boyu as a QT so I can still enjoy new stock during the 10 week quarantine period.

I will post a new thread with regards to questions I have on my future tank.

Thank you again for your encouragement!

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

10 weeks? I quarantine for 21 days..... Anyone have info?

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Most books I've read says 30 days, seeing that whitespot cycle takes 28 days, you have 2 days extra to be safe.Posted via Mobile Device

18. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Thanks Tobes.

19. naptalene

naptalene

My wife rolls her eyes everytime swear I'm gonna destroy my tank with a hammer.
    I'm fortunate enough to have good gear on the tank and all I can say is keep doing water changes and it all sorts itself out.

Brilliant idea on using the nano for quaruntine(sp?).

PS - I'm on round 3 of my tank. My old display is now my sump, my sump is about to become a grow out tank (optomistic:whistling:) and a new sump is gonna be built by me...... I'm a sucker for punishment:slayer:

My word of wisdom......buy a tank that can accomodate a GOOD skimmer. Pricey but possibly the most important bit of kit available.

Recent Posts