Reefer 350 Build Blog

Hi,

If memory serves you run loads of filtration on the tank. Maybe Dail back on some of the filtration to raise PO4 and NO3 and feed you fish like they are kings. Make sure to keep on top of testing.

Reduce nopox dosing to 1 ml/day to ensure the entire bacteria population does not die (however, don't know if you have any left if dino's are taking over so might be wasting the nopox?)

Can not remember if you run a refugium, but if you do reduce the photo period.

You can always dose as suggested by Seabass.

If you have reef roids on hand, add some of that daily. It's as if filtration can not get that out of the water :lol:

Some variants of dino's respond well to UV but you will need to check which type under microscope.

Check out inappropriate reefers video on his recent dino battle. I personally found it very insightful.

Also get 1 or 2 counch snails for the substrate. Nassarius snails are also recommended for the substrate. Don’t siphon the substrate. Well that’s what I do. I struggled with the ugly phase for 18 months. Only after the 3rd treatment with fluconazole did my algae and bryopsis go.
I tried snails but they don't survive long, only the nerite's are still around, and my tuxedo urchin and they both are eating algae but not the bryopsis
Did you import the fluconazole? Seems worthwhile to try

Dinos is toxic to snails. If they eat it they die. I battled dinos for months. Almost to the point of shutting down my tank. Dinos not fun trying to sort out.

Thanks, I have been battling the bryopsis for only a month, so I will be patient and try and keep the water parameters at the desired levels

Hi,

If memory serves you run loads of filtration on the tank. Maybe Dail back on some of the filtration to raise PO4 and NO3 and feed you fish like they are kings. Make sure to keep on top of testing.

Reduce nopox dosing to 1 ml/day to ensure the entire bacteria population does not die (however, don't know if you have any left if dino's are taking over so might be wasting the nopox?)

Can not remember if you run a refugium, but if you do reduce the photo period.

You can always dose as suggested by Seabass.

If you have reef roids on hand, add some of that daily. It's as if filtration can not get that out of the water :lol:

Some variants of dino's respond well to UV but you will need to check which type under microscope.

Check out inappropriate reefers video on his recent dino battle. I personally found it very insightful.

You are right, too much filtration.
I have stopped skimming and increased feeding. I just ran all the tests and NO3 is up to 10 ppm :m12: which I will try to maintain between 5 & 10 ppm
I have stopped NOPOX and will resume again at low dosage when the bryopsis start receding
I will dial back the refugium, my Chaeto and Gracilaria are growing like crazy
I will definitely increase the roids to also help my corals along a bit

I will also check out the suggested video, thx

It seems its really just the phosphate now that is still at basically zero and in need of raising a bit to 0.025 to 0.050 ppm

Sounds good. Keep on top of po4 and no3 testing. At some point the scale shift and nutrients spike.

Small amounts of reef roids :lol: since in my opinion nothing removes it accumulates

Dont be shy with amino acids either.

Once nutrients are balanced and stable might be worth dosing beneficial bacteria and pods etc to try and shift the balance of + vs undesired.

When I had dino, I tried to get rid of it while doing water changes - set them back to give + critters and micro fauna to populate.

Hope it helps. Good luck. Keep us posted.

When I battled dinos. I read and did every trick in the book to get rid of them. Raised nitrate, raised po, dropped nitrates, dropped phos. Tried waterchanges. Tried leaving lights of. After months of struggle I just pressed the **************** it button. And miraclishly they went away on their own. Till this day I don't know how I got rid of it. At some point I was going to import Dino x. And I think lockdown happen. So I never got to try it.

Thanks, I have been battling the bryopsis for only a month, so I will be patient and try and keep the water parameters at the desired levels

Keeping Water Parameters at desired Levels will do nothing to Bryopsis! Act Now, While it’s still in small Quantities. If It Starts Growing you’ll have endless Battles with it.

Keeping Water Parameters at desired Levels will do nothing to Bryopsis! Act Now, While it’s still in small Quantities. If It Starts Growing you’ll have endless Battles with it.

I think bryopsis is a bit easier to treat these days. I resorted to pouring dissolved Epsom salts over the affected LR back in the day. Worked but I wouldn’t recommend that approach.

The battle with dinoflagellates continues.
At least now I have eliminated the possibility that it could be cyano or diatoms.
I will keep nutrients a little elevated by dosing as it seems to help a lot. Aiming for NO3 at about 15 ppm and PO4 at 0.025 ppm

I am still in recovery after the mini-crash of winters end and am now slowly adding more LPS.

All the fish are doing really well which I am chuffed with considering I am keeping three of the more challenging fish as a noob:
  • Copperband - eating my home made chopped-up mussel/clam/oyster happily
  • Rainbow wrasse - will take a bit of the copperband's special but mainly picks at the copepods all day long
  • Mandarin dragonette - thriving on the copepods

Today was a deep sump clean where I rip everything out, clean and replace.
I am one of those OCD crazy people that want my sump as clean as the main tank :rolleyes:
Found a baby nerite snail in my return valve :oops:, I seem to have quite a few of them in the sump and tank.

Here are few quick pics under the blues tonight.

IMG_8372.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

IMG_8375.JPG

How are things going @ghost_Nic?

Hi @brentch - things are going ok - still very much in the ugly phase of a massive dino infestation.
Being patient and just keeping things going as best I can until Dec when i will again have more time to spend on the tank and when I expect to receive a delivery of Dino X as a last resort.

Also planning to install a 9-channel 12V power supply to tidy things up by getting rid of as many of those little power supply boxes as possible, as well as an Aquarium Guardian controller I ordered to monitor sump water levels in case I am ever at risk of a flood or running out of RODI. My RODI is gravity fed to I just need a warning system in case a snail ends up in my return line or I forget to top-up my RODI reservoir.

Next year I might look into developing a RPi management and monitoring system for the tank as a side-hobby?

Hi ghost_Nic

A quick question how are your copper-band doing and any issues with him eating corals? I gave one a try a few month ago but he nipped at my open brain as well as cat-eye and some other corals. I really want to try one again and just thought to ask on your progress?

Hope your tank is doing well and that you eradicated the dyno's

Back
Top Bottom