Reefer 350 Build Blog

ghost_Nic

Reefer 350
Reaction score
Hey @ghost_Nic, any new updates?
Hi @brentch thanks for your interest, its been a very long time since my last post and update.

From the previous posts you will see that I had a massive dino infestation that started showing up in July last year. This progressively, and perhaps with the help of some parasite?, methodically destroyed all the coral in my tank despite trying everything I could read-up on to control the dinos.

My fish were able to survive largely and the only real loss was my Gem Tang. The Copperband is still going strong.

By Dec 2021, I had lost virtually all the coral and nems in my tank. I then imported a bottle of Dino-X as a last resort and just before taking down the tank to sterilize everything and start over.
I started dosing on XMas day. By mid-Jan the dinos were miraculously gone - Dino-X was for me just amazing!! I am so surprised that no shop in SA stocks these products?

BUT, by this time my nutrients were sky high in an attempt to control the dinos this way. GHA took over from where the Dinos left off.
Everything was again overgrown, this time with GHA that is as a pain in the backside as were the dinos

Since then, I pulled my NO3 and PO4 right back to pretty much zero. My tank seems to prefer very low nutrients, always has.

I have started adding a few hardy LPS and Nems and they appear to be happy in what is now a reef tank in recovery.
The GHA is slowly receding, helped by a new Lawnmower Blenny and I have a little bit of cyano on the sand
For the first time since Jul last year my tank looks like something again and I am looking forward to rebuilding and stocking.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you lost some prize coral and fish, that really sucks. Well I hope your tank continues on the up and up. I am sure you are going to beat the gha and be able to add coral soon!

ghost_Nic

Reefer 350
Reaction score
Hi @brentch and @Pieter Geldenhuys - thanks for the continued interest.
I will give a more detailed feedback soon.

At the moment the tank is still in recovery and I am fighting with GHA that just wants to overgrow everything.
Currently on a strict peroxide dosing schedule that seems to be working well.

Fish are doing great, especially the Copper Band and Yellow Tang
I am almost running a fish-only tank at the moment and looking forward to adding corals again
The one torch that I added not too long ago is doing great so far

Reaction score
Great to hear. Yes I think it's just a case of succession in terms of stuff growing on the rock. I find with tanks it's a year usually of fighting opportunistic pests on the rock before it settles properly! I'm glad the peroxide is working well, I have done that in the past with decent success too. All the best with it's eradication!

Top Bottom