Reefcentral's TOTM

286491b1d1064694.jpg

is it possible....one water change a month...2 tiny koralia 2 powerheadsprovinding MAIN flow....in such a stocked tank of that size...its hard to believe but its brilliant.....

Very cool tank. I would be a bit nervous balancing that light hood on 2 planks like he does, maybe he doesn't have kids :)

Interesting to see that he doesn't regard his skimmer as mechanical filtration, referring to his detritus sponges as the " Only Mechanical filtration " - It has been argued that Skimmers are in fact natural filtration.

Nice, makes me want to go back to softies.

is it possible....one water change a month...2 tiny koralia 2 powerheadsprovinding MAIN flow....in such a stocked tank of that size...its hard to believe but its brilliant.....

25% a month is about average.
In fact it would benfit this system to run slightly higher in nutrients as the type of biotope he has created, requires slightly higher nutrient levels.

It's a horses for courses scenario.

um still waiting to hear from the GURU's on th one 30g water change a month fact.....

Hi Bushwacker - here's my take on this:
This is a very controversial issue. Some okes will tell you NO - you HAVE to do so many and so many percent water changes so and so often....
Other have had their tanks run for months without doing water changes.....

I think that each reefer gets to know their tanks.... If the accumulation of crap (phosphates/nitrates/DOC's, etc) becomes too high, then the life stock might start to sulk. This should prompt you to do a water change. And the percentage of water change that you do, depends completely up to you. You should/would get to know your own pets better than anyone else. You might have the same type of fish, or corals, than the next reefer - BUT, that does not mean that the fish/corals have gotten accustomed to the exact same water parameters.....
So - your fish/corals/inverts might have acclimatized to your water chemical balance - so, it depends completely on your own system, and life stock, what percentage water change you should do.

Many reefers might disagree with this....

BUT - what works for the one, does not necessarily work for the other.

You will have to get to know your own life stock.....
:) :biggrin: :) :biggrin:

so true jacques...at one point in time i did not do water change for a few months.....was forced to however due to a major accident in my tank.but still i add salt now and then and do other maintenance but not much water changes.

25% a month is about average.
In fact it would benefit this system to run slightly higher in nutrients as the type of biotope he has created, requires slightly higher nutrient levels.

It's a horses for courses scenario.

But for newbies,

don't read this and think that you should run nitrates at any more than 10 and phos above untestable(with a hobbyists test kit). He mean have lots of detritus in the water and not behind the rocks or in the sand. Detritus must be in suspension to be useful in the tank. So there has to be a way of getting the detritus out of the system e.g. filter floss or skimmer. To keep parameters in check is the main focus in your tanks.

Back
Top Bottom