Reef Tank Build

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Andrewpza, 13 Nov 2012.

1. Andrewpza

Andrewpza

Hi all,

After having a tropical take in the 700l range and a 22000l koi pond for some time now I have decided to take the leap and build a Reef Tank, Now my question is before I start the build, I have a counter top that is surrounded by two brick walls and a brick back, I would like to know if its possible to build on to this and have only a glass front and bottom would seal the tank ? The sides would be plastered and sealed non toxic epoxy, I had an idea of rock art feature on the back wall of the Tank ? The sump would sit under the counter, I dont mind drilling and plumbing the walls for feeds to the sump, so essentially is would be a fixed non removable tank,

thanks in advance for responses,

cheers

AP

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I think the best people to ask are the experts, try @Bob the (reef) builder, or @lanzo. Let's see if they respond, they are not on at the moment, but give the a few days or contact either idol marine or dorry pets, the serious reefer, @Nemos Janitor.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Andrewpza

Andrewpza Thread Starter

Thanks NJ, Ill wait for some response I was looking last night im going to bet a brace built to hold the front panel of glass just for strength purposes

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the length of that counter top, If its like 750mm, then it could work. Longer and I really doubt it. The weight will just be too much in the middle.

6. Andrewpza

Andrewpza Thread Starter

Hi Riaan,

Good call ok so Ill have the brace (Frame) to hold the front glass and the bottom on the tank, plan for this is to stand on top of the counter in pic but have it raw bolted into the wall, counter is 50mm thick, So ill only have bottom Glass inserted into a frame (polystyrene underneath) along with the front Glass also in the Frame, Tank Dimensions are 1.9L x 850w x 600h, Sump under counter

Tank View.jpg

Last edited: 14 Nov 2012
  7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and i hope you achieve a beautiful system.. one small problem i foresee if that the braai area on the other side of that wall may contribute to heating issues?

not an expert just an observation...

8. Andrewpza

Andrewpza Thread Starter

Hi Leslie,

Thanks, and nope where you see braai area that was going to be tank install but decided to go big or go home, so there is not braai there you just seeing storage area for now, but yes no braai,

9. blackknight08

blackknight08

tagging

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Why do you want to have only one side and the bottom glass? for that size tank, i dont think you getting any advantages from only having one side glass. By the time youve, replasted, sealed, built the frame etc, it might actually be cheaper and quicker/easier to just slot in a full glass tank.

11. leslie hempel

thanks for the clarification..

while it can be done as you have suggested (concrete sealing and a front viewing pane) i have to agree that it would be far simplier to contruct a glass tank and slide it into place...

it would offer more peace of mind wrt leaks etc...

but there are members on here that have done what you are looking to do and have been successful..

so it can most definatley be done

12. Andrewpza

Andrewpza Thread Starter

Yep i do agree but i have all ready completed plastering and i dont see the point in spending cash on glass, plus i want to do am artificial rock art cladding type background on the back and sides of the tank, or yes I would have done glass, :)

13. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Nice idea but you are going to need to give it careful thought specifically with flow options (eg. no flow pumps with magnetic mounts), access to the tank itself, electrical connections/hanging for the lighting etc.) Nothing impossible to do but good planning needed

Can also be an eyesore if you decide you don't want to do marines anymore and need to break it down.

14. leslie hempel

i personally wold not attach the rock to the back.. i have seen this done before and in most cases regretted by the owner.. as times change you want to be able to change scaping to adapt to new ideas (eg: minimalistic look type tanks) , also it can cause problems with flow and dirt build up...

im not saying dont do it.. im saying explore all options when researching..

15. Dillan

Dillan

Hi Andre you can have a look at my build you will see i did mine next to a braai (that I use 3 times a week) there is no heat exchange between tank and braai as there is cement brick and air between the braai and the glass and water. I assume if you used the braai for a braai not a bonfire :peroni:

Recent Posts