Reef Sand...any better..?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by belindamotion, 26 Nov 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Can someone please comment on these "types" of "sand" ...are they any better than what we currently have or is there no real difference...just a "general discussion"...not all of them, but some of the smaller grain sand and the Bio-Active Live Sand...I'm asking about the quality of the Sand and not the fact that you can add Fish with no waiting period...I still personally wouldn't do it...
    Reef Sand Bio-Activ Live™ Aragonite - No Waiting...Just Add Fish!®

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

its not so much the sand as the bacteria supplied, it will work just like Prodibio StartUp and Seachem Stability...

4. FransSny

FransSny

I havent even read the link bit I am already concerned with the "Just Add Fish" part......

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hehe read the label of prodibio and stability, infact i started a thread on it

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

It states...Collected in its natural environment and packaged in its natural state... it's also Patented...isn't "natural" considered better...obviously where they got it from will likely be of the highest standard...meaning I seriously doubt they would collect without making sure about the "quality" of the area...

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I highly doubt the bacteria and other organisms collect at the "natural site" would survive the packaging and transport. You cant simply put bacteria in a packet and expcet there to be the same numbers and species left by the time you put it in your tank.
    Id much rather trust dry aragonite and then add a known bacteria source.

FransSny, RiaanP and dallasg like this.
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip 459b, I cannot understand how the bio-diversity in the sand will or could survive the months of laying on the shelf in the LFS.

But admit, some of the natural options looks very nice. I would just stay away from too big pieces.
    Black beach sand, would look awesome in a tank done with black silicone...

9. FransSny

FransSny

LOL dallas, those statements scare me , I would go out on a limb to say anything can be don with the right experience, unfortunately these types of statements / claims just make it look so easy and creates a misconception IMHO ..

459b likes this.
  10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Agree. There is also a difference between what can be done and what should be done. Experience does count for alot

11. belindamotion

Reefkeeping 101 - Bogus Information - by Tom Murphy (aka WaterKeeper) - Reefkeeping.com
    Can someone explain this in Laymens terms...I was asking about the quality of the Sand and not about the Bacterial aspect as this Article can't really see the difference or advantage of Live Sand versus Dry Sand...well..that's how I understood it...So I asked about this Sand as I'm under the impression Arragonite..(most) is Man-Made...? So I thought "Natural Sea Sand" would have better "quality...but now I'm a bit stuck...Is "Live Sand" Arragonite artificially seeded...? :confused1:...and then what is naturally harvested live sand..? Bucket of wet sand scrapped from the bottom of the Ocean and straight into you'r Tank...? I thought that was the Sand that got Packaged..:confused1:

Last edited: 27 Nov 2011
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would stay away from the larger sized grains, although the would look nice. First sand sifting gobies would have more of an problem with them. And larger grain substrate allows more detritus particles to fall down deeper within, out of reach of hermits and gobies. Until one day you stir it up for whatever reason and you find this soup. And you wonder where your nitrate and phosphate problems comes from.

Secondly, depending on price, it can become very expensive to use these special sands as substrate in big tanks. And no point at all to use special imported pink sand from some exotic place as substrate for a DSB.

Quality compared against natural sea sand. Well, firstly where, when and how the sea sand was collected by you also determine the quality of your sand. From which beach, is that away from pollution? Collected under the low water mark. Did you allow it to dry out? How long before you got it into your tank.... blah blah blah...

Living inland, Gautengeleng. Although I would very mush want natural sea sand. Just the logistics to get it to my home - ALIVE - is just too much hassle. For a nano, that is another thing. But as my combined DSB is 1900 by 400mm and 150mm deep. Getting that amount of wet sand home is just too mush work to be done for a holiday. So I use playsand for my DSB. Cheap and it does the work.

In the display, as you generally have 50mm or less depth of sand. Yes then the cost of these bags of sand might be justifiable. As the looks are a lot nicer than playsand. I used until recently playsand in my display as well. No issues. Replaced that with with fine aragonite, and the change is radical. The playsand, even after being washed 100 times, still have a brown washed out tint to it. Where the aragonite have a clean look to it.

Aragonite apparently dissolve slowly and that is a benefit to your corals. But as far as I know, you do need low CO2 concentrations to be able to dissolve aragonite. So from that point, no real benefit between aragonite and playsand or natural sea sand.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2011
  13. belindamotion

Thanks...that's basically what I wanted to know...so,in the end, no real difference between Aragonite, Alive-Aragonite and Natural Sea Sand...? It all boils down to the Bacteria...? and that you can get in a bottle...So in a Nutshell...Aragonite you add Bacteria...Alive-Aragonite has some strains...Natural Sea Sand has more...correct me if I'm wrong, but basically a person doesn't need to buy these "expensive" sands as you can get the same results with a bottle of Bacteria...

14. pXius

pXius

Just to add something to the mix. Depending on your flow, grain size can play a large role. Like a SPS dom tank with tons of high flow will blow smaller particle sized sand all over the place and you'll have a permanent little sand storm. I switched to a larger sized grain just for that reason.

Natural sea sand in many cases is smaller in grain size. Just something to consider.

15. belindamotion

My reason for asking about these "expensive" sands was more about the "properties" or chemical make-up..I wasn't even thinking about their size or colour...I basically wanted to know if, in the long run, would they be more beneficial to a Tank...but if the Bacteria is the only thing that makes them different...then, no, I wouldn't buy it then as I now know that a bottle of Bacteria will eventually have the same effect...BUT if I want Pink or Black sand...then yes, I'll buy the small grains in say Pink or Black purely for the colour and will be willing to fork-out that amount of money...

Recent Posts