Reef products to use and prices of products

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was surfing the net searching for the best products to use for my corals.
I'm currently using marine snow.
What products do you recon is the best value for money. I can't spend thousands every time i want to buy food for my corals....

There are hundreds of products out there, and each claims to be the best. I want to hear from you guys that have some personal experiance with these products.
What is the best? Where can i find these products ext...
thanks guys!;)

The 2 products i know of and use 1: marine snow and 2: coral frenzy. Both these i target feed my corals, nennie and clam. it is amazing to see what happens to them when you squirt a bit of the food over them will all pumps switched off.

i am sure one of the sponsors here can help you get coral frenzy - i think it is R140 or something for 28g which you mix with water and feed.

where are you based - my LFS in pretoria keeps it. Also ask your LFS to get it for you if none of the sponsors have

How often do you feed?

How often do you guys feed your corals?
Do you follow the instructions on the products, or do you feed weekly/ every second day ext?
Then also - "what happens to them when you squirt a bit of the food over them will all pumps switched off"
Do you only squirt a bit of food everytime over each coral, or how do you feed your corals?

Do you use both products on the same time, or rotate it? for example on product on day one and product two on day 2?

Sorry - i know this is a mouth full of questions, but i've got a long way to go regarding this stuff......

oops - this is where I have to come out with the truth....I'm not sure what corals i've in my tank...Theowww - now that's off my chest...:blushing:

I'm still a bit new to the hobby....
Can i submit some photos so that you guys can identify it?
All I know is, is that it is all soft Corals (actually if i say all - i only mean 2...) I'll expand my coral collection as time goes by and money more.....

oops - this is where I have to come out with the truth....I'm not sure what corals i've in my tank...Theowww - now that's off my chest...:blushing:

All I know is, is that it is all soft Corals (actually if i say all - i only mean 2...) I'll expand my coral collection as time goes by and money more.....

Consider yourself ready for public flogging:lol: :lol:

no probs, just post the piccies in the ID section and we can all have a wild guess

Yip Let us have the pics and we will have a better idea

ok when you ready, contact millepora (eco aquatics) he is a sponsor on this site and will be able to post you the coral frenzy where ever you are. If you have only 2 soft corals then for now, the marine snow will be fine - no need to spend more money at this stage.

what system do you have and also pics of your corals will help us to give you the best advice.

i can answer some questions for now:
i feed 2 times a week - i think marine snow says 5ml/100lt. what i do is take 1 ml marine snow to 5ml tank water, shake it in the syringe and squirt over the coral with the pumps off - now when i say pumps, what i do is put all the pumps off for 10 minutes and feed all corals. once target fed i only put on my circulation pumps (seio) and not my sump pump. the sump only comes back on after an hour. also brain corals open up better at night so you could feed them then - although now mine open during the day when target fed. if you have 2 soft corals, then 1-2ml of marine snow should be fine - remember the bottle says 5ml per 100lts so 2 mls for 2 corals is over feeding

target feeding means squirting every coral with food - now this is not every polyp as this will take the whole day - just squirt the food over the whole coral stone.

i rotate products because i like to.

by the way, get a turkey baster - i use a syringe because everytime i go out, i forget to buy the damn baster.

try this and report back - also post the pics and we will take it from there

Raven looking at the corals in the thread i would not be too stressed about the feeding, these corals eat really fine particles. If you keep your fish population well fed that will suffice in feeding your corals at the same time.

Great News!!!!!

HELLO !

BOTH of coral shown represent species, equipped largely for PHOTOSYNTHESIS.

Little/No active feeding required.

Good illumination, Flow, and plain ole fish crap will sort out practically ALL nutritional elements for growth, health, backed by excellent aquarium maintenance plan.

:thumbup:

WOW!

There you go, save some money.
Spend it judiciously.
"Ja, right" , you probably thinking" ..NOT in this hobby!"
:whistling:

If , and when you learn OTHER coral names/ID, and you select ONLY those types that YOU can manage to satisfy ALL REQUIREMENTS, BEFOREHAND.

THEN, and ONLY then, look into feed modes/types.

egs)
Palythoa/Zoanthus
Corallimorpharia
some LPS species
can do with some, not significant, feeding supporting suitable levels of illumination.

If any of these words/ acronyms befuddle you....check out MASApedia, and websearch the rest.

Of course, if that's confused you even MORE, just return to verify/deny your newfound knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom