Reef Pods in a Bottle

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MerlinT, 3 Dec 2012.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hi Guys
    Found this on the internet. Anyone know where I can acquire these foods. I have a Manderin and need to feed it. I do not how much pods are available in my tank at moment to feed this guy. Maybe someone can recommend an alternative similar to these.

Thanks
    M

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

We had this discussion before...you need a Permit to get them...same Permit as when buying Fish(LFS)... when we asked about Importing them, we were told that it is not viable as they have a shelf life of something like 3months...could stretch it a month or so longer...also it needs to be in a fridge...the Artic Pods atleast....to the best of my knowledge...:blush:

4. mytank

mytank

Really?

Well I am going to order on line and use DHL lets see how it goes.

5. belindamotion

And the Permit...? Don't think the Public can apply...? Surely you have to be a registered Business...?

6. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Thanks B
    My Tank Let us know how far you get with this. Maybe we can do a group order or something.
    Cheers
    M

7. mytank

mytank

I dunno but nothing stops one for asking.... If it gets to customs and they ask me for a permit Ill tell them I don't have one and they can throw it away. If they don't I guess I will have pods in a bottle.

8. belindamotion

Ask NJ ...he posted the Permit...I think it's the one on my PC....just trying to figure how to get it on MASA...:p...I'm not computer savy...:p ...Apparantly you can't even get thru Customs with it...I asked when I had SIL comming over from England...I sooooooo wanted her to bring some...

9. mytank

mytank

I am not one for rules, ill order if they chuck it ill write down to experience ....

10. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Hi

From a importers point of view:

In order to import these items legally you would need a Marine Coastal Management permit. If you have a "MCM" permit the items need to be shipped as "Live stock" and this in turn means that when they land they have to be cleared using a clearing agent and being inspected by several governmental bodies.

The short live length of the the product added to the high cost of shipping and the added cost of clearance makes it very expensive to import. Added to this is the fact that most wholesalers will not ship the item to South Africa because they are not willing to guarantee the products shelf life.

One day in the sun could cause the entire import to crash leaving you with a bottle of ammonia spiking liquid. Using a courier is obviously a option if you were importing one bottle and you were willing to face confiscation and or a fine from Customs but you are still left with the problem that the product could get stuck in the heat or cold on it's way here as it is not listed as live stock.

The solution in South Africa would be for us to produce our own version of the product, this in turn is would fall under aqua-culturing which of course would be a criminal offence.

The only solution at the end of the day is to grab a permit at the post office fo approx.. R55.00, buying a ticket to Cape Town and spending the day catching these cultures which makes it a expensive exercise.

The above info is based on my own experience and I can only assume holds true for full time importers - I have investigated the idea of importing with no way of making it a viable option and no supplier. Let's hope a importer one day does feel brave enough to attempt this as the demand is certainly there

Last edited: 4 Dec 2012
  11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You rebel you :p Bring some back in your suitcase next time, just tell them it's organic shampoo or something.

12. mytank

mytank

Hahaha I didn't want to say it but that's exactly what I am going to do:) put it in my old shampoo bottle :)

13. LouiseS

LouiseS

So, if I live in Cape Town and get the R55 permit, how would I go about actually collecting these things (and not the nasties that are actually out there)?

14. Ikraam

Ikraam

hey r there nasties i normally go crayfish diving on the west coast and when done collect some in a peanut butter holder when i get home i feed it to my mandirin and he loves it never new that there was nasties also pls let me no

15. belindamotion

Hope this helps..:blush:

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=37598

Recent Posts