Reef Photoperiod LPS

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Potions, 15 Jun 2014.

1. Potions

Potions

Hi guys

I need some advise in regards to photo-period. I've currently got a Aquaray Aquabeam 2000HD LED unit, which runs close to the equivalent of MH at 100%. I'm currently running them on 70% W and 100% B. I just wanted to find out for LPS, and potentially anemones, would the following photo-period be sufficient: (I don't want to run them too long so as not to give the corals more light than they would need, which I assume long term would not be healthy)

I was running them for almost 12 hours total time but it just felt like too much, so now my new time is:

Total time: 9 h
    Ramp up time: 1 h 30 mins
    Ramp down time: 1h 30 mins
    Total without ramp time: 6 h

What you guys think?

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator

12 hrs is too much, your new nine hour period should be fine. Just monitor how the corals do and adjust if needed

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Daylight length is very dependant on seasonality with tropical light hours extending up to 14 hours. However, one must remember that natural light has only about 4 hours of full intensity. So, I agree with David that 12 hours is quite long, but if you feel that you would like have these longs hours be sure to vary intensity with a controller.

5. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys, @carlosdeandrade not looking to have long hours, just was unsure on how much light was enough. I think the 9 hours in total with 1h30 ramp on both sides, giving 6 hours full intensity should do good :)

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jun 2014
Recent Posts