Reef Octopus Pin Wheel

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I see you can now buy a pin wheel impellor for our old Reef Octopus pumps.

This is the normal needle wheel impellor
148d4c1ac4d6a6.jpg

And this is their new pin wheel impellor
148d4c1c7169d8.jpg

I wonder if there would be any benefit to changing from the needle wheel to the pin wheel? Would it turbo charge my skimmer? I must say I am rather keen to change.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
im sure there would be... only one real way to find out?

Reaction score
When is this available ?

Would you reckon Dorry's or Andrew will have ?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I've just asked Ferdie from Dorry's to find out if it's a straight swop of the impellors, he's going to get back to me, if it is then I think I'm going to change to the pin wheel.

Reaction score
Why don't you get Leslie to check for you?

Reaction score
I've just asked Ferdie from Dorry's to find out if it's a straight swop of the impellors, he's going to get back to me, if it is then I think I'm going to change to the pin wheel.
What I have read about the pinwheel, it seems to be the way to go, even better than the mesh mod.

Reaction score
Deltec have been using pin wheels forever.
My APF600 has one that has been skimming flawlessly for 5 years now. I played around a bit with the mesh wheel coversion on an old AM impellor that Alan kindly donated to the cause, but since converted back to the pin wheel.
I have found that with the Aquabee 2000 on the Deltec that the pin wheel gives better performance than the mesh wheel.

Reaction score
I did a similar diy upgrade yesterday and it doubled the amount of bubbles being pumped into skimmer. The only concern you may have is the distance between needles and cover. If this is a problem one can shorten needles a little with a sidecutter. Ps i will post pics of methodology of diy when i have access to camera and comp. I am currently using cell phone. If the guys are interested i will do demo at next cape town reef club meeting. Cost for mod totals five bucks and a bit of q bond and filler.:thumbup:

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
I did a similar diy upgrade yesterday and it doubled the amount of bubbles being pumped into skimmer. The only concern you may have is the distance between needles and cover. If this is a problem one can shorten needles a little with a sidecutter. Ps i will post pics of methodology of diy when i have access to camera and comp. I am currently using cell phone. If the guys are interested i will do demo at next cape town reef club meeting. Cost for mod totals five bucks and a bit of q bond and filler.:thumbup:
please do post if you get a chance...

Reaction score
No probs , you will laugh at how simple it is. Financial desperation is the mother of all inventions. Ps if u want to up your output on wavemakers take a look at propellers for radio control boats! I have got my eye on that next! Bit of diy necessary!

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
cant wait inspector gadget:lol:

Reaction score
No probs , you will laugh at how simple it is. Financial desperation is the mother of all inventions. Ps if u want to up your output on wavemakers take a look at propellers for radio control boats! I have got my eye on that next! Bit of diy necessary!
lol, those Maxi Jet stream pumps are the business :yeahdude:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I would think that the pin-wheel would indeed be MUCH better at producing far smaller bubbles, than the needle-wheel.

ManderinMan - I too would be interested in seeing your mods.... please post? Even if just your cell-phone pics......

Have anyone else ever tried forcing more air into your skimmers, via the air-inlet, using a strong air-pump?

Reaction score
Hello guys,would like to know if anyone has tried the pin wheel impellors on reef octo pumps for reeftek skimmers and the outcome.Which gives greater performance,needle wheel or pin wheel.Thank's.

Reaction score
I have tried most mods and the pin wheel is the best, the bubble production is great

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I got one about 2 weeks back and it is awesome !!!