Reef octopus OTP 2000

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Cabby, 29 Apr 2010.

1. Cabby

Cabby

hey, does anybody know if the OTP 2000 pump will work on other skimmers as well? so far i've heard it's recommended for the TS2 skimmer? but i'm in the process of buying a new skimmer for a 700l tank.. so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

No need to make double posts Caby:lol:

check out your previous post...or maybe the mods can delte that post...now that youopened this thread.

By the way...welcome to masa:wave2:

4. Cabby

Cabby Thread Starter

haha, sorry for the double post... internet acted up funny again.. so wasn't sure if it was creating a post or not..:lol:

5. shane

shane

Hey Cabby,
    As was said earlier, it depends on what size the reaction chamber is on the "new" skimmer.I have got a TS4 skimmer and that has 3 OTP 2000 l/hour pumps on it with a reaction chamber of 250 mm.
    I have a diy skimmer that has a reaction chamber of 160 diameter but a height of 600mm with a diy pin wheel pump of 3000 l/hour.
    If you perphaps tell us what skimmer you are looking to use the OTP 2000 pump on you may get a lot more help.
    Cheers

6. Cabby

Cabby Thread Starter

Hey Shane, I'm a newbie... So honestly i don't even really know what skimmer to use... As I said, i've got a 700 litre tank with a 5 foot long 500 litre sump... I don't like external skimmers because they take up too much space... i just need an in-sump skimmer that will do the job for my tank... I don't need the best skimmer available because i intend on growing the easier soft corals.. seeing as i'm new to this, i'm not even gonna try a DIY setup.. Any recommendations on what skimmer to use? a friend recommended a TS2 or TS3..

7. dean

dean

Hey cabby... If i understand you correctly you have total water volume of 1200 l. A TS2 is to small i would think. Ive got one in my tank and my total volume is +- 700 l and its doing its job. They are brilliant skimmers but if i were you I would go for something bigger like a TS 3 at least. Just remember that you will want to keep some more demanding corals later and would need to upgrade if you go for something to small now thus spending more $$$ which could have gone into that nice fish or coral.

If you got the cash in my personal opinion go for the reeftek TS3 as it is rated for up 1500l. If not you could go smaller like a TS2 which is rated for up to 750 l and build an ATS which will help it. There are many threads on them and many people praise them. Im gonna build one soon to help my skimmer out.
    You could also look at these skimmer which will suit your tank: Orca-135 rated for 1200l, Red sea Berlin XL rated for 1200l.
    Thats my thoughts. anybody else got ideas??

Recent Posts