Reef Octopus NW-110 Modification

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Manic, 8 Aug 2009.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey Everyone,

I got the NW-110 skimmer on thursday from Idol Marine. It is rated for a volume of water of 500L. It comes with the Octopus OTP 1000 needle wheel pump. Today I got the replacement pin wheel impeller and some enkamat. I'm going to do the mesh mod and post some performance pics of the skimmer with the needle wheel, pin wheel and mesh wheel. Then everyone can decide which one works better and if it is worth changing the impeller or doing the modifications.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Manic...Post some pics before and after modification...please...:p

4. Jaak

Jaak

Keep us posted, I like these kind of threads...

5. Afsal

Afsal

i got a Aquamedic SL1000 from my mate Preshan , that has a mesh wheel mod. I seen other SL1000 skimmers and in my skimmer you can see the white bubbles so imo its a difference

6. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

I'll post pics tomorrow but there is a huge difference. With the pin and needle wheel you could still see individual bubbles in the chamber. Now with the mesh mod the skimmer looks white. It looks like a brown cream that is at the top of the collection chamber. I'll post pics tomorrow but it is a huge improvement...

7. werner5

werner5

tagging along

8. Manic

Just an update for tonight. The mesh upgrade has seemed to have settled in. The skimmer is at it's lowest water level (About 15cm's below the collection cup) and it is producing some really good wet skimmate. I might have to modify the outlet pipe to lower the water level some more in order to produce a more dry skimmate. So far it seems to have increased the performance of the skimmer drastically...

Just an indication of total costs:

Skimmer: NW - 110 (Brand new) R700 from Idol Marine
    Pin Wheel Impeller: R134

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Manic...awesome...glad it worked...

10. FransSny

FransSny

Manic please post pics of the mod if possible, i want to do the same to my TS 1 & TS 2 ...just not sure how

11. Manic

Ok so here is how you do the modifications, it takes about 30mins to do a proper job.

Here's the list of supplies needed:

Fishing Gut (Doesn't need to be strong, just needs to hold the mesh in place)
    Enkamat
    Pin Wheel or Needle Wheel Impeller

[​IMG]

From Left to Right: Needle Wheel (Standard With Pump), Enkamat, Pin Wheel (Replacement Part)

I bought the pin wheel as it is easier to modify the pin wheel to fit the mesh onto as the pin wheel provides more support for the mesh than the needle wheel.

Here's what the pin wheel impeller should look like standard:

[​IMG]

Step 1: You then need to look for the 4 pins that are directly opposite each other and mark these 4 pins with a permanent marker (It should be the 4 pins on each cardinal point on the pin wheel).

Step 2: Take side cutters and cut off every pin except the ones you have marked, so after this step is complete your pin wheel should only have 4 pins left. It should look something like this.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Use a dremel or sand paper and just smooth out the pin wheel and try remove what is left from the pins you cut off. The pin wheel should be smooth and only have the 4 pins left on it.

Step 4: Cut a square of enkamat that will overlap the sides of the pin wheel by about 2cm's. Try find a natural hole in the enkamat through which the center of the pin wheel can fit. You don't want to cut a hole in the center as this removes valuable material and will decrease the effectiveness of the mesh mod.

[​IMG]

Step 5: Using the fish gut tie the enkamat to the pin wheel using the 4 holes that are already on the wheel. I just used normal knots.

Step 6: Cut the square piece of enkamat on the pin wheel into a circle. You want to try cut the mesh that the pin wheel just fits into the pump. So cut a bit off at a time and put it into the pump. Leave a clearance of about 1mm between the enkamat and the pump walls.

This is what it should like like when it is done:

[​IMG]

If you have a bigger skimmer with a larger pin wheel, the same method can be used except you need to add more layers of enkamat. So instead of just 1 layer you may need to add up to 4 layers.

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Manic what type of mesh is this...what type of material is the mesh made of...and will this mesh not damage the inside of the pump if it comes lose...

13. Manic

It's enkamat, you can't get it in this country. The inside of the pump is sealed so I can't imagine damaging the actuall pump but it may damage the impeller which is easily replaced...

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Manic shotto...

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

Personally I find the Pinwheel, to work better than the Mesh

16. Manic

I tried the pin wheel and it didn't seem to work that well. Maybe I didn't give it a chance

17. mookz

mookz

Hi Manic, try the bio ball mod, it works like a bomb!!
    I have run both mesh wheel and pin wheel, find the pin wheel to do a little better, this is very much personal experience as it differs from pump to pump,The bio ball mod seems to do better than both.

18. Manic

Could you please post some pictures on how to do it. Thanks...

19. mookz

mookz

20. mookz

mookz

21. Manic

Here the performance pics as promised:

Normal Operation with needle wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the skimmer stock standard there are only bubbles in about half the skimmer chamber.

Here's with the mesh mod, I've now added 2 layers of enkamat to the pin wheel instead of just 1:

[​IMG]

Now with the mods the whole skimmer chamber is filled with bubbles...:thumbup:

Recent Posts