Reef octopus dnw-110-6520 setup

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
I need assistance with sizing pump flow required into my skimmer. What flow rate is required for optimal performance.

Welcome to MASA SchyffS

Where you based ?

I have the DNW200, not sure how different they maybe ?

I you referring to the actual outlet adjustment on the skimmer ?

Thanks, yours is twice as powerful. Nope, im refering to the water inlet to the skimmer. Must there b a set flow rate thru it?

Based in Cape Town.

i'll b back later at +/- 7pm

Hi SchyffS - I am not TOO familiar with the ReefOctopus skimmers, but I own 2 ReefTek TS2's - I believe that your skimmer is equivalent to a ReefTek TS1 (TS1 being an insump skimmer, where yours need to be plumbed externally? I think?)...

I believe that the DNW-110 requires an input water flow of +-1500 litres per hour - BUT I would also still use a gate valve to control this flow.....

My 2 TS2's uses 2000 litre per hour pumps....

Warr - I am not too sure what water intake pump your DNW-200 uses? (l/h wise)....

The DNW110 uses a single 1000l/h recirc pump. My skimmer is currently feeding directly from my sump return to tank via t from a 4500l/h pump with gate valves to control flow.

The skimmer is mounted externally from the sump.

I need to optimise this flow and also want to know what is the best place to feed from in the sump.

HI Imarine, Jaques and War7207.

Thanks for the advise, okay so i must have a 1500l/h rated pump with gate valve to controll flow to between 800 - 1200 l/h.:thumbup:

Where should I feed from to the skimmer? I am currently feeding from my return chamber to the display tank.

Hi SchyffS - unfortunately your setup is not optimal at all SchyffS.

Your skimmer should be the 1st filtration outside of your tank. So, I would move it to your overflow outlet from your tank, AND not your return (to the tank) from the sump......

If you can, try and plumb your overflow pipe/plumbing directly into your skimmer....
Then you do not need a pump at all, and you just use the gate-valve to control the water flow INTO the skimmer.

This is IF you can at all.... Otherwise, place your skimmer's water supply pump in your 1st sump compartment, and have the skimmer's outlet water flow back into the 1st or 2nd compartment....

1000lph IMO
my DNW 200 runs on a 1500lph pump
and the DNW 300 on a 2500lph

Hi, unfortunately my shopping list for irrigation pieces was not complete. I will complete the mod on saterday.

okay, i replumbed as advised by jaquesb. It took me all day and alot of tweaking. Skimmer is bubbling away using only gravity feed! My water has already started looking better. I will post pics its a bit difficult browsing with cell.

As promised before and after pics

All before shots

Display tank overflow plumbed to first chamber
63748034bee06cd4.jpg

Sump return to displat T off to skimmer inlet (NO NO!!!)
63748034dfc837c8.jpg

Last edited:
Sump modification with skimmer water inlet plumbed directly from display tank overflow.
63748035d2795803.jpg

50mm dia overflow reduced to 20mm
63748035d46aa9d1.jpg

Skimmer returned to sump first chamber as well as recirculating from sump return.
63748035e4e1ca63.jpg

AWESOME SchyffS! NOW you will see a HUGE difference starting to happen in your tank! Good luck buddy!
PS: Your water parameters should be getting VERY good VERY soon!

Please do some measurements of your water parameters over the next few days, and post the differences in the parameters...

:thumbup:

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks gents, got some advise from Imarine as well with regard to removing the coral chip and bio balls i.e NITRITE BOMBS....

We will be looking at improving the sump with Imarine assistance.

Question:
What should the water level be in the skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom