reef octo skimmer HELP

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by NADEEM, 3 Mar 2013.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi all, I have a reef octopus 160xs skimmer running on my 200litre cube tank, skimmer is in first compartment of sump. Tank is currently very lightly stocked.

Having a small problem with skimmer, tank been running few months nw and skimmer been fine. Yesterday I cleaned skimmer cup and now the skimmer is just skimming water, it has a valve where u can adjust it, I have adjusted to the lowest but this skimmer is just pushing up thick white foam and then left with lightly coloured water in the cup. And this skimmer was producing some serious black skimmate before. What could be worng? Any guidance here please. Its been less than 24 hrs and the cup is almost full of water

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Henkie

Henkie

Have a look at the venturi connection on the pump, mine got clogged with salt and the same happened.
    Maybe that is the problem

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Yes..miggt be something restricting the airflow or you used filter wool or you added new saltwater...

Something.could also be.blocking.outflow?

5. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Since we on the subject are filter sponges good or bad? Coz I also noticed a lot less skimmate with sponges. What's da good and what's the bad @ridwan

6. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

The filter floss actually makes the skimmer go crazy and overskim for a while...must be some chemical in the filter floss...

7. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

It's not the venturi, a blocked venturi would make it skim drier, not wetter. I'm with Ridwaan on this, something is surfacting the water.

8. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

So is da floss good or bad. now I find a lil but thick green skimmate

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Any extra mechanical filtration is good to have, but you have to clean/replace it regularly, at least once a week, more often is better.

I run a thick mat of filter pad in my pump compartment over the pumps (originally it was to stop microbubbles), but it catches most of the fine particles that the skimmer misses, and it works wonders for clarity.

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I also have a xs160 running, amazing little thing.

Was not skimming right when i first put it on, was skimming waaay too low, played around with the air intake and an o-ring popped out, after that it started doing its job. Make sure the air intake isnt taking in water but as rocketrooster said, if it isnt sucking in enough air the level in, the skimmerlevel inside the skimmer should drop.

Recent Posts