Reef Octo bubble blaster pumps

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by deadmeat2016, 13 Apr 2013.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi All

Replacing my ATI powercone 200i pump, its supposed to be intelligent but I can assure you it's not, sick of struggling with it for the last 2 years. It simply draws too much air and too little water, making the bubbles in the skimmer merge, result=crap skimming.

But reduce the air sucked in by the air intake hose you say! Nope, pump is too smart for that and keeps restarting cus it thinks there is a blockage.

It's got a throttle, take it down a notch! Why would you want a pump that can't skim properly on full?? Why would you wanna turn it down anyways?

It's got a gridwheel dude!!......great, more expensive to replace as only ATI make them, are they better? no, my reef octo xs 160 puts it to shame.....badly, very badly, and its got a tiny little sicce pump with a star impellar. And yes the impellar broke, twice.

But, but, but.....no thanks, its making the hobby more difficult that it is!!

Looking for info on the reef octo bubble blaster pumps, the bigger ones ;) talking 3000, 4000, 5000 or bigger.

Info needed on the BB's; water intake, air intake, diameter of the outlet (inside diameter and outside).

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

the bubbleblasters are out of this world! i had one on one of my skimmers. absolutely magnificent

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Thats what I've bin hearing, wanna get my hands on one, but which one??

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

get one the same litres per hour as your current pump. i am curious as ever about your current pump. where is the air intake in relation to water intake?

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

secondly where is your water level in relstion to recommended water level on skimmer( the water it is submersed in)

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

if you put the skimmer in water that is a bit deeper it will not draw as much air imo and that should sort out problem imo

8. deadmeat2016

The max water level for the skimmer = around 20cm

Water level its at = 16.5cm

Its a bit hard to explain the anatomy of the pump, but its described as a vortex intake of some sort. But the air intake is right in the middle of the impellar. It currently draws around 1600L/hr of air, if it works like ATI describes then its a 1.5 : 1 ratio of air to water so should pump just over 1000L/hr.

But as I mentioned the bubbles simply merge. The skimmer output dial is nearly all the way closed so the body can handle alot more than wht the pump chucks out.

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

these things intrigue me.

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

put it in the max depth of water and test it again please?

11. deadmeat2016

Well its a funny story lol.

I started with it in the max depth, the bubbles did not travel up the skimmer evenly and kinda started to tumble towards the top, still merging.

Tried it a bit deeper, around 26cm, even more whirling around an no good, tried it in really shallow water, around 14.5cm, a bit better but had to close the skimmer output valve nearly all the way shut, comprimised at 16.5cm.

Bubbles travel up the neck at a fairly large size, bigger than bubbles produced by a needlewheel but very organised, all the bubbles almost in a line, this was prob due to the bubble plate. But on full whack there is still still tumbling and ALOT of bubble merging and consequently crap skimming.

Believe me when I say that i have tried everything! I spent a crap load of money on the skimmer so thought i was doing something wrong so tried alot of crazy stuff but no juice :(

12. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

If.i werr you i wouldnt replace the pump with a bubble blaster..instead,id replace it qith a waveline dc pump.
    Very very silent,excellent air intake and low power consumption...looks nice also...lol

speak to Jungle Aquatics..i think they do free delivery anywhere in the country...

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

BB5000 = 2200LPH air
    BB3000 = 1500lph Air
    bb2000 = 1000 lph air
    bb1000 = 600lph air
    Not sure of the water through put

14. deadmeat2016

Ridwaan - are you suggesting that the bubble blaster pumps are not 'very silent,excellent air intake and low power consumption...looks nice also'?
    Reef octopus have a name to uphold and I have found that they are very trustworthy

Thanks Ziyaadb but i need all the specs

15. deadmeat2016

Ridwaan - are you suggesting that the bubble blaster pumps are not 'very silent,excellent air intake and low power consumption...looks nice also'?
    Reef octopus have a name to uphold and I have found that they are very trustworthy

Thanks Ziyaadb but i need all the specs

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

they are very very quiet in my experience. they are probably the best pump on the market at the moment

17. deadmeat2016

Which are you referring to?

18. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Compared to the waveline dc pump, the bubble blasters are loud...higher electricit consumption,more expensive.

I must say that i am overly impressed with the waveline dc pump. another added benefit with the dc pump is that its speed controllable allowing you to tweak your skimmer air and water mixture even more.

Replacement pump and parts of bubble blaster is expensive...if u want bubble blaster pump, you can buy me a waveline dc pump and i give u the blaster pump....lol

come to think of ut, the reef octopus diablo range of skimmers comes with the waveline dc pump...lol

19. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Also heard Supplier lifted prices of reef octopus even more...

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

maybe they would be good to examine cos the technology of the bubbleblaster is three years old and the dc pumps sound really interesting.

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

whats the pricing comparison like?

Recent Posts