Reef LED lighting as you experience it !!!

:lol:

Heres the difference and as ive stated aquarium manufactured units dont come with reflectors.
Only domestic and industrial LED's like converted lamps etc

lens.jpg

Reflector.jpg

Last edited:
maybe we all having a bad day, so take below as constructive...

ok so i will chime in again, if optics is also right, how was i wrong?

if we asked to be corrected, how does that reply help us?????

we all here to learn, but need to be shown the right way if we are astray...

for many years i have answered many of the same questions here for beginners and never have i said it doesnt matter, thats not the spirit of MASA...

Dallas, the last thing I wanted was to get drawn into a ****ing tete-a-tete about terminology, when it was clear as daylight what I was asking. Even after I explained EXACTLY what I was referring to, with pictures nogal, it was still met with drooling and gaping maws. But LO! ALL OF A SUDDEN everybody is an expert wanting to correct me on what it's called, without having given an iota's worth of input on the original request.

Ja. I'm in an unutterably foul mood today.

Dallas, the last thing I wanted was to get drawn into a ****ing tete-a-tete about terminology, when it was clear as daylight what I was asking. Even after I explained EXACTLY what I was referring to, with pictures nogal, it was still met with drooling and gaping maws. But LO! ALL OF A SUDDEN everybody is an expert wanting to correct me on what it's called, without having given an iota's worth of input on the original request.

Ja. I'm in an unutterably foul mood today.

me too! but my request is coz i want to learn, but we can discuss over a beer, free over weekend?

ps. i never read the whole thread... so i must appologise, i still havent haha

I'm not sure why I'm not making myself clear here. Anybody who has done any bit of research on the topic will know what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about this:

2012091160423241.jpg

And not this:

e-series-high-power-led.jpg

Every LED has some sort of built-in lensing effect due to the shape of the packaging. Are you referring to the lens angle of the LED packaging itself? Or DOES THE LED COME WITH THE CONES?

Agree with you there's reflectors and lenses. Lenses are over the LED's which magnifies and relects light at specific angles. Then reflectors also spreads light from the back at certain angles. But i think most aquarium led fixtures only uses lenses and to answer your question, The unit Andre has does not have reflectors but only the lenses.

Question been answered a while ago.

But yes, some units do have reflectors, as in flat shiny surface with little holes where the LED pokes through.
But those reflectors do not work with the LED itself, rather just help to reflect light back down to the tank that was reflected upwards from the surface in the first place. Something carried over from T5 technology and on on the first 1w leds to get the most out of them. on the newer 3w and 5w the little bit of light bounced back from the reflector panel does not matter anymore. And its in the way of the lenses.

Yes the first lot of LED light fittings came out with CREE LED bulbs that have reflectors. These were displayed at Interzoo way back in 2006. The Plasmas were shown at Interzoo in 2008.

Take a look at the Sfiligoi Galaxy and the Sfiligoi range of LED light fittings.

These Cree bulbs are available locally.

I hope I am understanding this thread correctly and that it is about LED lighting experiences and the different types. I do not bring in the Sfiligoi range but have had experience with the galaxy. As I do with a lot of other LED options. Just that the Sfiligoi was the first example I had had an experience with.

I then tried to do a DIY with the Vossloh Schwabe LEDs of the time.

More on the Sfiligoi Galaxy from only 3 years ago.

Galaxy T5 90 Hybrid LED light from Sfiligoi

Galaxy T5 90 Hybrid LED light from Sfiligoi

Sorry man wasnt directed at you. i was talking bout the pics rocketrooster posted which riaan quoted on his last post

I assume this post is directed at me. ;) No problems bud. Sometime when posting and not referring, can cause confusion. I know, I often do it and then whilst typing someone or 's sneaks in a post or two and the reply is out of context. :thumbup: Gets the sensitive ones going though. :biggrin:

Are the leds on the reef aquatics unit stuck to a pc board or stuck to a heatsink and wired together?

Back
Top Bottom