reef keepers parradise rock pool-aandtsociey trip

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 18 Jan 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

The first spot is of the mini barrier reef rock pool where we just look and this time we took tea, coffee and breakfast on to the reef, as this day was perfect to fully appreciate a snorkellers and reef keeper’s visual paradise.
    On this day you could casually walk in, which is very, very rare to get it this good, in nearly 30 years of visiting this spot. I have seen it this clear and calm 3 times, this was one of those three.
    One of our more recent members was totally in aw of the amount of life he saw that you would never get a chace to interact with unless you have visited the barrier reef it self and not in a very safe rock pool only 45 mins from Bris.
    The club has been doing these sought of trips since the early 1950s that I am aware of, possibly longer from what a life member has said,(I am not that old yet)and a large part of the society has always been about reef aquarium keeping since 1926 and learning from interacting in the wild with them, plus collecting their own aquarium species as well.
    In this break from the weekend before xmas in 2008 into January, the aandtsociety had it’s best conditions of smooth clear no current warm water, so much so, most of us snorkellers didn’t bother getting much at a couple of spots, we just had a ball looking around, because it all looked far to good to touch or take, but we did get a latezonatus and one or two other things at the second site, the latezonatus was given to Shane to go with his ocelaris in his reef tank, the rest from there and the other sites were that we get were distributed around friends and members.
    A latezonatus is one of the truly peaceful intelligent amphiprions in a reef tank, in mine he(as he didn’t have a double chin as the female does)would sought out arguments between other amphiprion and centropyge as well.
    The guys that went on scuba, (they are the greenies, ha, ha, we keep away from them) they helped a small turtle from some fishing line, patted a leopard shark or two, were watched closely by a nice little black tip, swam with two manta rays and a few huge eagle rays that the snorkellers saw as well and said the water was to warm????They should have brought thinner wetsuits like us.
    I will put more in soon.
    Oh by the way, I have the cuttle fish doing tricks for its crabs now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the link to all rock pool photos if any one is interested.
    Tags for pool in aandtsociety - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    enjoy!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Yet again you come on this forum and make me feel sick with envy :blushing:

Cheers, i hope you had a great time.:)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW PKC! Nice man! Really NICE! "WISH I WAS THERE!"
    What a LIFE!
    You guys don't have work for me there perhaps? LOL!.....

Would just LOVE LOVE LOVE a life similar to yours! Awesome!

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Very nice pics, are you guys allowed to collect corals and clams over there?

6. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

collecting

No we are not allowed to collect calcium skeletal anything here.

The rock pool we go to is mainly just to have a look around,the turtle pic was taken at a spot a few minutes away where you can collect some fish and legal inverts,so we spend a lot of time there when we go out.

The rock pool holds a lot of great memories for me,as when you could collect in that spot i got my first imerator in five foot of water and a white cheek tang in there as well.

Just getting up onto the reef after you swim,sometimes from over a hundred feet of water in depth,depending on if the other guys are going in on scuba,you swim over,a shark or two,huge manta rays and vis sometimes as much as 35 meters cristal clear water,than you get onto a reef and have cup of coffee and swim in that rock pool.

it is a life altering experience.

So beautifull and there is so much more to this reef once you are on it,as there are other pools and up to 10 inch sized oyster over a huge area to just chip off and take them home in the shell.

When my mum was alive i would always bring her a bucket or two of them back for her.

than there is the coral gardens next to the reef with normally thousands of blue tangs around and in the stags.

There is always a leopard shark to hitch a ride on or just have a pat of.

the rock pool is beautiful,but on a calm day the things to do and see here would take me a month to type them out for you.

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Just wish I was there. Thanks for sharing :)

Recent Posts