Reef Keepers Look Here

Very interesting....

Here's my list:
1) at least 6 swimming pool filters with various media
2) at least 4 Speck swimming pool pumps (perhaps even more) for water flow
3) normal sea sand or "play sand" as substrate
4) if the pool is built with gunnite(sp?), I would rather suggest having it fiber-lined
5) Built rock mounds (as this would be FAR more practical) than trying to add HUGE rocks or even huge amounts of actual rock into the "pond"
6) 2 or perhaps 4 HUGE HUGE DIY skimmers (this will also assist when you cannot resist the urge to go for a "dive" in your own coral reef out in the back-yard.... ;-)
7) some MAJOR MAJOR fresh water filtration plant (HUGE RO system) to do the fresh water top-off (summer-time when the evaporation rates are HUGE)
8) some MAJOR heating system (MOST LIKELY DIY) - perhaps made with a geyser of sorts - to keep that HUGE amount of water warm in winter-time
9) Would make this MOSTLY a Fish only system, with PERHAPS some soft-corals
* It would be a MAJOR head-ache keeping the water quality of this system 100% perfect for keeping ie. SPS corals in it..... so - anything that can handle higher nutrients would be AWESOME in this tank....
10) some HUGE surgeons, tangs, angels (not dwarf angels), etc. - perhaps even some "hunters" (predators - ie. some fish from the bass / grouper family).....
11) some REALLY REALLY decent water changing facility
12) I would also try and automate this as MUCH as possible, as it would be a HUGE chore to manually do things, ie dose kalkwasser, etc, in such a system....
14) PERMANENTLY EMPLOY SOMEONE TO LOOK AFTER IT FOR YOU!

Firstly when building the pond round off the corners as much as possible i have read that this helps save injuries to the animals. I would use 1000L flow bins for filters, 2 should be enough. Elevate the pond slightly to stop the rain water running into the pond. The rain that falls directly into the pond wont make that much difference to your salinity.
We have actually hijacked the thread here, Sean please start a new thread for this project.

Back
Top Bottom