Reef classes

Discussion in 'Local Reefing Clubs' started by irie ivan, 11 Mar 2014.

1. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Brain fart, inspired by Nemos Janitor...
    Reef meets from an outsiders perspective seems like a carbon dosing, need for social acceptance, tank and equipment staring, bragging, frag swapping, photo posting event...
    Nothing wrong with that, for those so inclined.
    However, in scanning through the meet threads, reference to actual knowlege gained is minimal....
    Misinformation, misconception and general confusion seems to reign with even the most basic of principles, or understamding thereof...

Have been toying with the idea for a few years, and still am....
    Informative, reefkeeping 101 style meetings.. Dare I say it, almost classroom style..
    Q&A sessions.. Predetermined topics..
    Am I deluded in thinking some peoe actually want to gain an overstanding in whats actually going on in their systems?
    Yes we have MASA, or should I say we are MASA, but it gets pretty busy here detracting from the learning experience... Fun nonetheless, but there is another side, which facilitates more fun when we know what we are doing and why.
    We have some clever people and some knowledgeable ones too, who are more than willing to donate some time to do a talk and Q&A session.

Just a thought...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I would be keen.

4. Brendan6

Brendan6

5. Snoek

Snoek

I am in if this happens.

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sounds like a good idea. We do encourage people to ask questions at the meets but in all honesty haven't seen you at one of the meets so maybe you should join the meets & share your knowledge with us... Just a thought...

7. regis

regis

I agree with @MistaOrange, grace us with your presence. or not

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree and disagree with your statement Irie , the issue is getting people there, our jhb people are generally the same people joining and yes it's social but we do discuss topics current on masa. The problem is that some people think the following:
    Too good for a meeting
    Know everything and don't need to learn
    To scared to find out what they do and have is wrong and don't want the embarrassment, this by the way happens way too much here anyway

The list goes on, but on the other hand A structured course would be cool, but how does one get past a difference of opinion? Cubes aren't for all neither are pellets, do we delve into the mad science of reef keeping? Do people want to know or just want a cookie cutter system that is good to look at with no fuss?
    Then we have to contend with lfs's, will they now see this as a threat, do we invite them?

I am all for putting a training guide for reefing in sa but our biggest problem: EGO

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have been tutouring people via e-mail and whatsapp (more recently) for years. I find it more specific to converse one on one to award detailed attention to each case it does interferre with my family life a bit so I have a rule that I will answer at my soonest convienience.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  11. irie ivan

irie ivan Thread Starter MASA Contributor

@regis and @MistaOrange.... I will go with the not.. Perhaps my ego prevents me from attending as Dallas said. Or my classic antisocial behaviour syndrome.
    As mentioned, social gatherings for those so inclined ;)
    Its a great thing to do, keep doing it.
    Having been in the hobby and trolling the forums for longer than I care to remember, I am well aware hiw different opinions and methodologies can spark debate and how ego can prevent progress..
    Reefkeeping 101 style "classes" are not a product pushing, lfs alterior motive, or room for a pissing contest.
    There are things called facts, science, chemistry, biology... Facts, hardly open to a difference of opinion I would think..
    If I may illustrate: Most hobbyists know to keep their pH at 8.3ish, but if we were to ask why or even simpler, what is pH, how many can answer without googling or searching the forum... Fair enough and good enough for some to be close to the info, at hand, a few keystrokes, but not in head.
    Another reality that I am well aware of, is that most simply dont care... And will carry on looking through a refractometer and carry on saying their salinity is 1024, yes, I left out the . on purpose.
    There is another reality, and that is that knowledge empowers, and a few actually want to be empowered, for the sake of their livestock, their egos and their wallets.
    Another reality, these classes are happening already, whiteboards, whiteboard markers, Q&A, practical analogies, but up to now have been by invitation only...
    Guess the intention of this thread was to extend the invitation more than anything..
    To get people to pitch, quite frankly, there are enough who are already pitching, but we have decided to invite so that more can grace us with their presence, or not.

12. irie ivan

Yes Leslie, in part thats what has brought this on, an offshoot from watsapp tutoring, a realization that there are those who want to know more, and the interference with family and work...

13. Riaanv

Riaanv

I am keen to learn and would like to attend. Also have a bit of an anti-social personality...too many people with no specific agenda leaving only small talk makes me nervous.

Specific discussion classroom style would be great.

14. seank

seank

Dunno, where DID your mind wonder off to?? :tt2:

That is definitely me you referring to as I can still not get this chemical things right. Probably the fact that I never paid any attention in chemistry class as myself and the Lesb..n teacher did not see eye to eye, and it still urks me big time.
    I do tests because I have to, not because I know how to. I change water only when I see coral suffering, not because I know what is wrong.
    I bought a fancy doser and added Iodene, Strontium and Magnesium, because I read somewhere that this is the stuff that makes coral grow, not because I really know why.
    I would like to say that my coral grew over the past few years, but unfortunately cannot say it, as I would lie, hence me always buying big pieces of coral as I have never experienced coral growth.

I hate not knowing the "Why" and "How's" in life, especially when it becomes part of my love and passion. :(

Best you move to our side of the world, we will keep you busy for a long time.:biggrin: And you can fish here too.. ;)

P.S.
    In our City I am probably the most experienced reefer wrt Coral, fish etc, and coming from myself, I can assure you my tanks are more over based on luck (sometimes) than anything else, now concider the rest of the hobbyists here if they know less than me. When they ask me for advise, I give them advise according to my experience (no one to tutor us here) and not of actual facts and the right knowledge.

We need to get experienced reefers in our area. We have 05 "Pet Shops" in our area, and no one deals with the marine side of it... :(

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Chemistry & myself don't mix all I know is how to make hth bombs...:thumbup:

16. irie ivan

Lovely reply Mr. Koekemoer!
    Case in point.
    consider is spelt with an s, not a c by the way.... Was your English teacher a lesb? too?:lol: Don't worry, I had to google it.....
    My fiancé drives an i10, we live in the farmlands, roads are bumpy and I type on my phone mostly.....

Think Dallas mentioned that lfs might see it as a threat....

Intention to educate, long term sustained sales vs. quick buck.... they want to see that as a threat.... whatever. Some have learnt to refer their customers to me, as I'll direct them to buy the right thing...for their system! You lose the sale of a Moorish Idol and gain the sale of a refractometer... Really not my problem that the Moorish Idol came into your store.

Anyways, Sean, would love to come visit, catch fish, perhaps we could have a classroom on board....

17. seank

seank

Tomato, Tamato, who gives a....lol (spell checker missed that one)

Anytime. Then you can sommer give class at my house, in the form of setting up the new display tank so everyone can see how to do it properly. (See that as a down payment to free meals and boarding as well as good fishing trips, ohh, and good company..lol)

Serious note. After being a member here since 2007, it becomes "normal" to skip a lot of threads as mostly, all revolves around the same questions and answers, yet not a lot "teaches" ... (see me getting a sign now)

I sooo wanna get this chemistry thing right. I went back onto my thread yesterday and found this- I am still not better off:
    Post 330:

Post 331:

Answer from @Hill at the time:

So you can see, even now I am confused. It is as if there is a "block" in my brain when it comes to this type of stuff

And this was the response from @millepora at the time (Must add that he tried to explain it to me over the phone on a number of calls:

18. irie ivan

I read all of that Sean... and now I am confused too.:eek:

Will gladly come teach, but can only do that when I myself understand the molecular properties of water.....

Gotta get my ass up there yes... Gatvol of snoek down this side....

Setting up a display tank... As long as I don't have to carry rocks around... Dis Bleddie groot klippe wat jy gebruik...

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I don't know how you can comment on reef meet knowledge sharing seeing as you've attended zero.
    Far more is often learned in an informal chat that having info forced onto you in a classroom situation.

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I was a lecturer at varsity for my final year. I always found that interaction between all parties was a sound a good way of sharing knowledge between students, it keeps everyone at the same level, people feel more at ease and no one feels like they might ask "silly" questions. I love informal meets, you get to know others and they share their experiences with you.

21. Bflynn

Bflynn

Class room would not work for me as I have the attention span of a rock:lol: I would love too attend reef meets, chat, eat and drink a beer. I just live to far out!!!!!! I hardly ever get to CT anymore.

What about home schooling. Get modules, lets say 1-10 and meet for exams and a braai every term or two.

Recent Posts