Reef catfish?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Titanse, 27 Mar 2010.

1. Titanse

Titanse

Hi ppl.

Today I acquired 4 of these babies. THey not much bigger than 10 cm's each. I know they do get bigger at would like to find out if anyone has these or had and if they ok or not?

Currently I have 2 tomato clowns, 4 bi colour chromis , 2 cardinals, 2 cleaner shrimp's, 2 dancing shrimp's and 2 hermits.

Question is will they fight with any one?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

this opening paragraph would make me a little nervous.....

The Striped eel catfish is an interesting schooling fish. Juvenile specimens live in large schools with 100s of fish in them, while adults live in smaller groups. In an aquarium you should keep at least a small group; never keep a Striped eel catfish alone without other Striped eel catfish present. This is the only species of catfish that lives on coral reefs ..... The Striped eel catfish is not reef safe even though it is found on reefs in the wild. They may eat small fish and invertebrates. They do however usually not damage corals if there are no small fish present. If there are small fish present they might unintentionally damage the corals when they try to catch the small fish.....

for fuller details go to http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Marine-Catfish/striped-eel.php or google it before letting it loose in your tank ;)

i have seen species tanks of these in large shoals and they are awesum to watch, but i have only ever seen then as species only.

4. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

Well the thing is... did some reading bout them. But I finally dripped them and put them in the tank.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

I brought back 4 last week from Durbs and had them in my 6 foot fish only - they were all about 5cm's = huge appetites ... I ended up putting them with my morray - Now no sign of them - Facinating to watch - They do have a venomous spines though so dont handle them - always use a net....

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice fish but more for a Fish Only tank though, I think you can kiss your shrimps goodbye. ;)

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Guys you have made the commitment to keep and look after there fish. IMO not a good idea. Please researche first.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2010
  8. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

we need pics

9. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

Well seems like they are chilled. Other fish and such ok. Will post pics on Monday.

10. FransSny

FransSny

I would seriously dissuade, people from keeping them except in a predator /species tank. As they grow they will start exibiting typical catfish behaviour,, becoming reclusive predatory monsters !

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

He he bud - I tried that - they became "food" for my moray - bloody greedy bugger... Unless the "hiding" just hope they not hiding in the moray's belly - they qere all over 5cm's - I dont think he could've eaten them all....

12. FransSny

FransSny

LOL buddy, I have a suspicion they are "hiding" in the moray's belly

13. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

Well to be honest... I am moving them to a different tank that I am building... So they are jsut schooling for now... cute buggers tho... And yes I have done reading on them... have wanted them for some time...

Just out of interest... how does one post pics from Flickr?? Having issues with it...

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  14. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Try photo Bucket

15. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. viper357

Very cool fish, I really hope they behave in your tank. Do they stick together all the time?

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

I think mine are sticking together ..... inside the moray's belly - bloody *&^%$ eel - I thought being of the same family he wont attack them especially knowing they have venomous spikes..... but yeah when they were in the tank very COOL watching them SCHOOL!

18. viper357

:lol:
    That doesn't work in the marine world, many fish will attack each other that have the same/similar body shape or are of the same family, tangs, gobies etc. are a good example of this.:(

19. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

90% of the time they school... it seems that one or two break off for a bit then they join each other again... facinating to watch them eat...

Well Hopefully not too long (bout a month or so) I will have a new setup done by then...and they will have to content with triggers and such... lets watch and see.. :p

Recent Posts