Reef Books

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Could we get a list going of some worthwhile books that newcomers to this hobby would benefit from, there are many many books out there, of which some are unfortunately a bit outdated.

I am a big fan of Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo, this book is full of colourful photo's and also contains information about refugiums, deep sand beds (DSB) and a huge array of invertebrates, algaes, clams etc. A really worthwhile book in my opinion.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists
Author: Robert M. Fenner
R356.95
(eB 3570)
Delivery time: Usually within 10 working days.
customer reviewsrate this productemail to a friend
Product detailsPublisher: TFH Publications ISBN: 9781890087029 Format: Softcover Publication Date: 1998/3 Size: 209 x 214 x 28, 1397g Pages: 432 Illustrations: Illustrated Readership: General
Short DescriptionDrawing upon a lifetime of aquatic experience, marine biologist Bob Fenner demystifies the process of planning, setting up, stocking, and managing a beautiful, thriving slice of the tropical ocean. A leading advocate for the responsible collection and care of wild-caught specimens, Fenner starts with the basics and proceeds to give the reader the scientific background and expertlevel secrets to being a smarter consumer, better reef steward, and more successful marine aquarium keeper.

Reaction score
If i may, i would like to give a rating of 1-10
1)The Reef Aquarium vol 3 J.Deelbeck and Julian Sprung rating - 10
2)Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo ---------------------- 9
3)The Nano Reef C. Brightwell ---------------------------------6
4)Giant Clams D Knop------------------------------------------5
5)Corals Julian Sprung------------------------------------------9
6)Marine Fishes S W Michael----------------------------------- 8
Books Of Local Interest
7)Two Oceans-------------------------------------------------8
8)Reef Fishes Indian Ocean Dr G R Allan-------------------------4
9)The Living Shores Of Southern Africa M & G Branch------------10

Reaction score
Clipboard01.gif

very very nice pics to:p

Reaction score
I agree with Sunburst on but would add vol 1 & 2 of The Reef Aqurium as well as Algae (a problem solving guide) by Julian Sprung

Reaction score
REEF FISHES AND CORALS by Dennis King south african specialy for people collecting their own fish this book is all about the fish you get in our waters what they eat and habbits and corals nice book take it with me everywhere i go

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Copperband. I want to get some great reading material for christmas.
Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Copperband. I want to get some great reading material for christmas.
Cheers
You welcome shane, i learnt more out of reading Anthony Calfo's book on Coral Propagation than out of all the others put together..it that was just the first 50 pages.

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me where to get Anthony Calfo's book? It's not on Kalahari.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History
Author: Eric H. Borneman

(We have just ordered this one)

Unfortunatelybooks date rapidly, even by the Authors own admission

A comment made by Eric and this book in another thread http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showpost.php?p=42250&postcount=57
Eric H Bornemann said:
Yes, much of the material in my book is now outdated. As it should be. Both science and aquaristics move forward
Mekaeel.
"A guide to the selection, care and breeding of corals for the mini-reef aquarium"
by Dr.Herbert R. Axelrod.
im using this book and find it excellent,lots of advice of flow,lighting etc...for all corals also very nice pictures
Also from 1998, but still some amazing info, who can argue with the good Dr Axelrod

The internet I would Imagine would be the most current, but as Phat said real nice pictures and still good info as well

Last edited:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Dean,
Where did you get your reef inverts book from?
Cheers
I bought mine 2nd hand from another reefer, unfortunately I do not know of any local suppliers with this book.