Reef Aquarium

Discussion in 'New Members' started by marna001, 1 Oct 2009.

1. marna001

marna001

Hi my name is Marna. I am quite new to the hobby therefor try to learn as much as i can. I hope to create a reef aquarium with different aspects such as corals, invertebrates, anemones and fish. How do you know if you anemones and corals are really happy and healthy?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi marna:)
    welcome to masa its great to have you here. there is so much to learn in this hobby that you will feel like a noob all the time, but overtime you will gain lots of knowledge.

what sort of tank do you have or what sort of tank do you want? The more you plan the easier things are and its never worth simply doing stuff without knowing what it is that you are doing. Have a look through the new memebers sectiosn and threads and you will find that most of the common questions are answered but if you ahve any questions just fire away and we will do all we can to help you along.

to answer your first questions about how do you know if something is happy or not, is quite simply answered by the creatchure showing you. If its a corral they will have full pollop extension and if its a nennie they will be static in one place and also fully expanded for most of the day (they do close up at night though)

but before you go anywhere near an annenome in your tank there are lots of things you need to learn about as nennies are advanced reefing creatchures and can wipe your whole tank if you dont look after them properly. Normally we only put them into a mature tank and thats one thats been going for 9 months or so :)

but welcome to masa its great to have you here :)

4. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. My tank has been running for about 4 months now. i have gone through the hole proses of getting the biological filtration going and added the correct lighting system for corals. My water quality has been stable for about 2 months and i have added some fish and a bubble tip anemone. Since then i have added a Powder blue tang, some anthias and a cleaner wrasse. I am not sure if i pronounce the name correctly. My latest addition was a brown tang, a few more anemones and 3 types of corals, which is supposed to be easy to keep (leather coral, Zenia and mushroom coral) I don't seem to loose anything. (yet) but at times my corals seem like they are closing and then it looks like they are not doing so well, But the next day they seem to be fine. I do have supplement that i add for them, i am just not sure if it is enough.

5. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

Welcome to masa and welcome to the hobby:thumbup:

6. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

Hi Annoying

know what you feel like, living in the middle of nowhere. Where do you get your aquarium supplies and fish from. Thanks for the reply. I hope we chat to each other soon.

Bye

7. Tony

Tony

Hello and welcome. Ask away and we will help you along

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Just a few questions.

Normally the quickest that you are able to add anemones to a tank is after at least 8 months. Not a rule, but a very good yardstick to use. How big is the tank and how many anemones do you have in there. To close to each other and the release chemicals to attach the other. Might be why they are closed up some times.

What filtration do you have? Cannister filter (hope not) or sump with bioballs and ceramic rings (again hopefully not) or sump with DSB and correct size skimmer? You got a lot of fish in there and the tank is still an infant. Your cleanup crew and good bacterial population most likely struggles to keep keep up, or to generate. Slow down, and let the tank be as it is for next 2 months. Give bacterial population time to grow and multiply.

Correct lightining, what do you have there. Metal halides MH or T5 globes?

there kis still a lot of other "standard" questions normally asked to new members. Because of bad advice from the LFS. Like your substrate, what do you have, Live rock LR, how many etc.

Maybe post a picture or two of the display tank DT and your sump.

9. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

Hi there, My tank size is 1.5m x 640 x 700mm. My substrate is a crushed coral substrate that is bought from the fish store in Vereniging. I do have live rock, about 4/5 kg at this stage, hoping to add more. I have a biological filtration system and it is situated at the back of the tank, so a photo is out of the question. The filter is basically the tanks size but only about 20cm wide. My lights consists of T5 globes. I do have the correct size skimmer according to the fish store, who also saw my tank before i started. In my biological filter there is also a trickle filter which i thing has got the bio-balls if i'm not mistaken. I test my water regularly and there is no traces of amonia, nitrite or nitrate, my ph also seem to be stable, I do not have a problem with the anemones, it is the zenia coral that seem to close at some times. You will not belief me if i tell you that one of my anemones reproduced in the tank. I was sitting and looking into the tank a few days ago and there it was, the smallest anemone i have ever seen. It is not even 4 mm big and it attached itself to a rock. And then about two days later yet another one sitting halfway underneath a shell. How it happened, i have no idea. As soon as i figure out how to upload a picture, i will. Promise

10. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Welcome Marna, a great place this for advice. I do hope your `smallest` anemone is not an aiptasia sp whch can be a pest if left to multiply. Personally i`m against any anemones but if you are having luck ,all the best.

11. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

12. FransSny

FransSny

Very warm welcome marna.....you have just entered a subculture of its own ;)

Here is my 2 C:

Crushed coral coral will be a problem in the long run...all the fish poo, uneaten food etc will end up in there and cause issues... algae is an example. See if you can remove slowly, handful or two per week and replace with the finest substrate yo can find. (see you are not close to the ocean so go reggies playsand...just wash very well before adding)

Your "biological system .......I dont really understand but i THINK its actually meant for FW. Rather look into a sump and deep sand bed..lots of threads about how to do this.

Bio balls.....contentious issue, IMHO they cause problems in the long run and requires maintenance

As for the anemones, my best guess is aptasia....I think I have the second biggest farm in my tank and I am not too concerned as they are in my trigger tank so no softies aor other corals. BUT said that they will become a pest if not controlled.

As for your skimmer in my experience, what most LFS's say is not 100 % spot on...no offence to the sponsers here...you guys have always given me :thumbup: advice. What make / model is it etc

13. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

And here i am, thinking i am starting to get it right. All of the sudden, i am not so sure. Why is the people selling you the stuff if they know there is a better way around it. Why not sell see sand instead.

14. Norries

Norries

Welcome! :)

They sell it because of da mannee!!

15. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

Not nice. So lets start at the beginning.... Where is that?

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For a fish only FO tank or FOLR (that is with live rock), bio-balls, ceramic rings and a cannister filter is 100%.

But for corals, anemones etc, you need a better filter system.

18. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Marna? There are so many ways to get this hobby right, everyone here literally does it slightly different with the end result being success. My advice to you would be ENJOY your tank, the critters that `pop` out of your rock may be pests or pleasures depending on how you view them.
    For now stick with exactly what you have and should and only should a problem become one then ask here and deal with it.
    Just my 2 cents but sometimes we tend to overload newcomers with too much info which can be deterring.

19. FransSny

FransSny

Midas you are right , yes every one has his / her own way of doing it. and yes to varying degrees of success .

The 'newcomers overload" i adressed in another thread, and yes once again I do agree with you in principle BUT fixing minor things now is much easier than trying to re do a system later.

I for one made a effort not to put too much tech detail in my answer. Still lots of Q's for marna to ask, read etc.

Marna, please tell us more about your system as i asked, then there will be more specific answers

20. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I`m not debating anything, just lots of ways to skin a cat , to coin a phrase.
    Bioballs have there place in certain tanks, yes long term they may lead to nitrates, this tends to happen very slowly and in a smallish system water changes sort this out anyway. Which is a real storm in a teacup btw, nitrates? not so serious , phosphates lead to problems much more IMO.
    Cannister filters? Great for carbon or a phosphate remover media.
    All i`m saying is we should welcome newcomers and encourage what is hopefully already a strong interest which may or may not lead to a passion.

21. marna001

marna001 Thread Starter

My tank does not have canister filters. My filter sits at the back of my tank. as big as my tank is, from left to right and top to bottom, that is the size of the filter. only the filter is from front to back about 20cm wide. On the left hand side the water is going into a empty compartment with a overflow into a compartment with filter media (a stone-type media) with filter mat on top which i clean regularly. It then filters through that media into another empty compartment again with the overflow and again filters through the filter media only then, the water gets pumped back into the tank. In the middle sits the trickle filter where there is a overflow from the tank, the water filters through the "bio balls" and is then pumped back into the tank. (i suppose there is where the bacteria is supposed to grow) On the right hand side of the tank it basically works the same as the left hand side only the skimmer is working on the right hand side. Now if this is correct or not, i would not know. Up to now, it seemed to be working okay. But there is so many people saying so many things that it is really hard to try and keep up with everything.

Recent Posts