Redsea max 250 good option?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Henrique, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Henrique

Henrique

Guys,

I am starting in the marine aquarium hobby now, and to control costs and difficulty of gathering all equipment separate, I am thinking about buying a 2 hand Redsea max 250. Do you think its a good option to begin? Also, is 15.000 rands for the aquarium a good price?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I am a Red Sea Max fangirl and absolutely adore these tanks.

It is a pretty solid beginner tank but does not come with a sump. That being said will also give you an indication to the restrictions that you may encounter when trying to change or upgrade equipment. So if you are a tinkerer, DIY'er or someone that wants to add lots more equipment (e.g. sump, change the skimmer etc), you may find yourself limited and easily frustrated with this setup. But if you want enough of the right equipment to start up a tank and learn along the way, this is a good way to go. As a newbie, it is an excellent setup for you to get familiar with the equipment and reefing requirements. With the right stocking levels, the standard setup is awesome for most setups (full sps/mix reef/fowler and inbetween combinations).

When purchasing a 2nd hand unit, find out how old the tubes are. You may need to buy new bulbs depending on age.
    Another thing that you will need for this tank is a chiller. You cannot get away with this as these closed lid tanks run very, very hot.

I am not too sure on price but there are a few of these tanks available for sale so shop around for the best deal :)

Henrique likes this.
  4. Henrique

Henrique Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your support. If you know of any on-going opportunity's for a complete tank for beguiners please let me know. regards.

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

No problem :)
    You can check out the "For Sale" threads to see if there are any tanks that may suit your needs. The only problem will be shipping it out so Mozambique...

6. Henrique

Henrique Thread Starter

Tks. That will not be a problem because I can drive it down myself :)

tekkengal likes this.
Recent Posts