Redoing my nano

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Johan van Aardt, 11 Aug 2009.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I have one of these small 48 liter nano and recently became gatvol of trying to keep water paramaters correct and decided to start highly modifying the tank, this includes taking the filter compartments completely out and replacing it with only one overflow. in the sump i want to have a dsb and an algae scrubber and maybe a skimmer if those dont help sufeciantly

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

And now before my thread is moved i will state the reason for telling you this useless information, i really need someone to host my 7 kg of liverock my clownfish, my shrimp and my two hermits, else i cant start on modifying the nano

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That sounds like a GREAT idea, Johan! IT should not be a problem. You have one of 2 choices, regarding an overflow:
    1) drill the tank
    2) get a siphon overflow, that "hangs" over the side of the tank
    Good luck with your modifications. I hope that it works out great!

5. Johan van Aardt

I am going for a sump ontop as its the only space i really have. So pump it up top let it filter and use gravity back down, i dont think i will be able to sleep with a tank that uses a syfon as an overflow in my room next to my pc....... Anyways anyone in table view area willing to help out let me know

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Get yourself the standard 60L tanks, those sold by normal pet shops. Even second hand, check Junkmail. And host them yourself in there.

If you move all your substrate, liverock etc in one go to it, you will not have a cycle.

Put your skimmer in there as well.

And in future can use it as a quarantine tank for new or sick inmates.

7. jacquesb

Johan - I would love to host these for you, but, I will be moving house soon. I am not sure if this will impact the hosting of your fish.

I also have a HUGE HUGE amount of aptaisia. Which just might get a foothold on your live rock.
    I do have a seperate system (holding tank system), which is not up and running though. I have 2 of these, one of which I am going to be using for my tank's sump when we move.

Let's wait and see if one of the other Cape Town reefers can assist. If no-one can help, I will be glad to do this for you.

8. Johan van Aardt

Thanx jacquesb really appreciated. RiaanP, i did want to do this and i still might do this but my problem is this damn resession, i have a 60cm standard tank but this is currently being made into the sump for the tank. Skimmer? Whats that? I only have this queen thing i ran for two days in my tank with no skimmate forming even after adding a airstone in the bottem of the skimmer plus an airpump pusing air into the venturi and air being pumped into the inlet of the pump

9. Johan van Aardt

Damn you really get perspective of why u need to own a good skimmer once u have had a crap skimmer

10. jacquesb

Yeah - TOO right you are, Johan! Too right you are!

11. Johan van Aardt

I am thinking actually of getting two ts1's one for this tank and one for my other im busy building, if i used a ts1 on a system like this,it will be about 100 liters, wouldnt it be way overkill? If so what other options do i have? Or will the dsb, ats and macro algae be enough

12. jacquesb

No Johan - you cannot "overskim". You will have AWESOME results from your tank, though. Great choice the TS1's.

13. Falcon

Falcon

hey man i also have a 45l nano my solution was much simpler than over flow...simply place a hang on back skimmer behind the tank.this will also accomadate the heater and some phos removal media like chemi pure elite. via aqua makes a good one(available with uv if you wanna polish your water) and also reef octopus and red sea prism hang on back skimmers are good but a bit more pricey...

then make your dsb in tank with a depth of about 10-15cm using reggies playsand.

this has worked for me perfectly during the last six months and ive only done one small 10lt water change all my corals are living fine.only problem i've had so far is the shaft of my cheap circulation pump rusted causing my second sps to die:( found this out yesterday so going to dose sera aquatan today.

14. Johan van Aardt

One more reason i would like a sump i forgot to mention is to use the return as a closed loop for flow so that there is more space, but im not sure gravity will work for this

15. jacquesb

16. Falcon

Falcon

your skimmer return will provide quite a bit of flow in a 45lt tank,just add a small seio m250 or the like for random flow(hide behing the rockwork).this should take the same space as a overflow yet be much simpler than drilling etc and also no need for a big space taking sump.

17. Johan van Aardt

Falcon do you maybe have a thread on your nano id like to check it out, keeping all my options open. I am very intrested in keeping this tank but i am aiming at a anemone and two clown fish so need above prime water conditions. The reason not putting in a powerhead like that is because off the cost i really am not in a position to spend even more money on this, i have a contact in perspex so thats how my new backing will be done. Sory if it seems im contradicting all input just realy confused at what to do

18. Falcon

Falcon

haha ok you caught me i'm too lazy to make threads on my tanks but i'll post some pics here for you just now bro.

well an anemone in a 45lt nano is risky risky risky boet besides the water conditions well its hard to even keep temp stable.also then no power heads at all in tank as in a 45lt tank its definite hes gonna be soup sooner or later.even the intake for hang on back skimmer is risky in my opinion...only way to go would be overflow and closed loop as you want to go.plus he'll outgrow the tank in no time as they grow quite quickly...the only reason i remotely thought of keeping an anemone in my 45lt is because i have 2 big anemone safe tanks that i could transfer it to any time.

perspex backing hey,well does it work out cheaper?if so then why not go for it.in the states lotsa people use acrylic and perspex etc so thats fine if you wanna go that route.
    :)

19. Falcon

Falcon

and your more than welcome to contradict me boet lol as nobody has the perfect reefing method we all learn as we go along even after many many years in the hobby;)

20. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Johan

I have a frag tub (1.2mx1.2mx60cm) in my garage, hosting your LS and LR wont be a problem; if your Clowns are big enough.
    You see I have my nennie frags in a crate in the tub. I dont want clowns trying to host because I am scared they will damage the frags.
    So if we can keep the clowns out using egcrate or something, I'll do it.

How big are those clowns?

21. Johan van Aardt

I will tell u just now gonna go measure him almost home tho so will do it then. My guess is like 3cm long and cm high, not sure how big your gaps are but maybe i can make a pl an with him if there is a problem, my lfs is pretty stingy and wants me to wait till he has put in the new skimmers into his system till he holds my ls but he doesnt get that i am on a mission here. Gawie that would be awesome

Recent Posts