Redo my tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ted.vanh, 25 Nov 2008.

1. ted.vanh

ted.vanh

Hi Guys,

I started reefkeeping in August of last year when I bought a tank from my local pet shop. He had started keeping marines a few months before and I thought he knew a bit.
    The set up I purchased was as follows:-

1. Tank = 1.48 x .46 x .48
    2. Hang on Aqua h2o skimmer
    3. 2 x Aqua canister filters
    4. 2 x T8 4' lights (one white & one blue)
    5. Under gravel filters covwering the whole bottom of the tank covered with +/- 6" of very coarse crushed coral (+/- 5-6cm)
    6. 2 x p1ss willy power heads attached to the under garvel filters.

After battling until January this year I discovered MASA and asked for advice from you guys. I got great advice (here I must commend Kanga) and found a new LFS who now happens to be a sponsor of this site.

Over a period of a few weeks I removed most of the coarse coral and replaced it with rice krispie sized crushed coral. The LFS supplied me with a sump and a hang on overflow box. The lights were replaced with 4 X T5 39w 10000k lights and 2 x 54w 20000k lights. The 4 10000k lights were in a box with reflectors. the sump consisted of an inlet section, a DSB of +/- 20cm deep and a reeftek TS2 skimmer. I also installed 2 x SEIO 1500 and a BOYU wavemaker.

This has worked pretty well up until now except that the NO3 has started to climb back to 15. This excludes the problem I had with the Angels & Tangs dying which would appear to be because of contaminated Bicarb (thanks Obi-Wan).

That aside I have decide to redo my tank to replace the coral with aragonite and to remove the undergravel filters because I believe this is a substantial contributer to the high NO3.

So I am going to do the following:-

Remove 60% of the tank water into a container and place my corals & fish in that container, remove the live rock (probably about 100kg. Siphon off the rest of the water and remove the crushed coral and underground filters. Clean the tank and cover the bottom of the tank with a layer of +/- 2.5cm of arogonite. Return the live rock to the tank and redo the aquascaping so as not to interfere with the water flow as is dine at present. Replace the water in the container, the corals and fish. Replace the 40% water siphoned off with fresh salt water. The sump will not be touched during this exercise.

Guys wish me luck and any advice would be appreciated as well as any donations of Cheato that you may have available.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Basically the same as a tank move.

I'm planning the same but will use play sand instead of argonite (a lot friendlier on the wallet)
    But I got the sand setup in another 90L tank, and I placed some smaller live rock in there. Setup like a small nano, with powerhead and CFL lights. Then this sand got time to get new live in it, also give it small amount of flakes as I have plenty of bristle worms in there and some capepods. Will let it be for another month, before I swap the cource crushed coral with the sand.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Your plans seem to be ok, how long do you think it will take?

Get one or two cheap air pumps to supply oxygen to the fish and livestock in the container. Also use a small powerhead to pump water from the return chamber of the sump to the inlet of the sump, in other words, if your sump used to run from left to right, use the pump to now run the sump in reverse from right to left, just to keep water circulation going and keep oxygen levels up.

Also get a heater running in the container if you think the water will start cooling down.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good luck with the move some excellent advise given there.. wishing you every bit of success.

6. Jaak

Jaak

All the best for this exercise! It sounds like you've got it covered and you got some great advice. It should go well!!

7. ted.vanh

ted.vanh Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

Hoping to have it done by the weekend.

8. ted.vanh

ted.vanh Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.
    My tank was redone last Friday as discussed, thanks to Sean and his crew from Pet Stop. So far everything is looking good and there have been no losses. Thje aragonite is showing signs of brown algae but I suppose this is to be expected until the cycle in the aragonite kicks in. The substrata is +/- 5cm thick.
    I will take pics over the weekend and post for comments.
    Only one small request - is there anybody in Pretoria region that has some Cheato for me - pretty please

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds like Diatoms. Tank is cycling well. It will dissapear.

10. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Thanks

Thank you for the visit today and great feedback on the work done by Shawn :yeahdude:SOME PHOTOS - before & after please!

I am proud of Shawn an his team, for their GREAT no make that MAGNIFICENT work:thumbup:
    With people like Shawn in PET STOP we will only be able to give even better service and advise.:slayer:

Nothing is as good as when a plan come together like this one.

PS - AT PRESENT SHAWN IS BOOKED UNTIL 7 February 2009 :yeahdude:- This is all after the results from your and 3 other customers aquariums in October/early November

Recent Posts