Red Star Fish

Reaction score
I recently added a red star fish to my tank, to go along with 2 clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 pyjama cardinal and a yellow coris wrasse. Then 2 hermits and a snail.

However, it now appears after a few days that the star fish is being eaten alive. It still moves around the tank, but it's legs are getting shorter!

On certain forums I have found that the wrasse could be the culprit? We have had peppermint shrimps before, and they were also eaten alive by something!

Also, since putting the starfish in the tank, the aiptasia that I had on 1 piece of live rock as disappeared. Is it possible that the starfish can have eaten it?

Any help will be appreciated!

I'm assuming it's a fromia star from your description, are the legs retracted or rotting away? Can you still see the black tips?

It sounds unlikely that a fish is nibbling it from what you have mentioned - though damsels can sometimes be devils. It is more likely something is up with your water and/or it isn't getting any food. They are pretty fussy about the algae they eat and don't do well in a lot of systems.

Back
Top Bottom