Red slime outbreak

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Slims, 21 Jan 2011.

1. Slims

Slims

hi Guys

I am battling with serious Red Slime and GHA in my setup. My tank was moved into a new setup 4 months ago and was about a year old prior to that. I have had no problems with algae but 3 weeks ago it started and has gotten really bad since then. My water params are all in check. I have tried siphoning , brushing and doing water changes , but it just comes back.

It started when i made some additions to the setup ... I set up a frag tank that is plumbed into the main system. Lights on the frag tank are on 10hrs a day. I also installed a diy carbon reactor to my sump. I ran a diy reactor with NP pellets for about 2 weeks but turned it off as it was clouding up the water. All of these additions where done simultaneously so i'm not sure if any of these are causing the outbreak. I have also been dosing IODION daily as my iodine reading was extremely low and my corals where showing signs of discolouration.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

4. shauno

shauno

I use a product by chemiclean - i think it was chemiclean

you use a couple scoops of this stuff and the slime was pretty much gone within 3 days.

5. crispin

crispin

slims, what are the nitrate readings on that tank and what test kits are you using?

have you changed your salt brand? what salt are u using?

how often are you doing water changes and what is the TDS of your RO water?

6. crispin

crispin

are u carbon dosing?

7. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

hi Crispin

Nitrate 25mg/l. Using Sera test kit. I've always used Red Sea Coral pro salt.
    Water changes 10% every 2 weeks. Not sure of TDS but using a new Waterboy RO filter.

8. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

I am running carbon in a diy reactor

9. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

Does it stay gone? where can i get this?

10. crispin

crispin

Slims, im honestly a 5minute expert on the topic of cyano as ive only had it once, but my 2 cents worth of whats happened to your system goes along these lines....(please take into account that I im replying after 6 lines of info and have not seen the system myself)

N&P pellets are primarily a carbon source (as is vodca etc) which is used to supply carbon for benificial bacterial growth which use a number of incrediants to grow, carbon, phosphate and nitrogen in various forms etc. if there is an excess of nutrients bacterial populations can and do grow realy fast, as do other pioneering orgamnisms such as algae.

by using a diy reactor something wasnt quite in sync and you stimulated the growth of bacteria (as you wanted to do) but that Cyano BACTERIA was stimulated as much. Being a pioneering strain and a relativley hardy strain of bacteria Cyano gets going and keeps going, sometimes outstripping the growth of invisible but benificial strains of bacteria (which also have growing populations using the same food sources).

the reason i asked about the NO3 levels is that cyano is often an indicator of increased NO3 levels.

I would suggest adding a calcualted N&P reactor to the system and start it off slow, realising that it may make the problem WORSE before it gets better, but thats the best way I can tell of increasing the benificial bacterial populations to a high enough mass to be able to drop the bottom out of the P and N in the system. In turn you kill the food source the cyano are using.

If i were you id also add a scrubber to the system, and one big enough to take ito account total water vollume seeing as u have a frag system in place.

I am not sure of the effect of excess Iodine on cyano, but id google that question and find an answer before carrying on with the Iodine dosing if i were u.....im not saying it increases or decreases the cyano growth, im saying id find out if i were u.

PLEASE note though, this is rather like riding a tiger.....u need to stay on its back long enough for it to tire out before you get off, or dont get on at all! what i am suggesting is not simple reefing, and carbon dosing into a system that is unstable (as shown by the cyano and algae) is most often NOT reccomended, although i feel its possible to achieve in this case.

ps @Bob the (reef)builder and @Reef Maniac would you guys give your imput if u feel i have this ares about face?

Last edited: 21 Jan 2011
  11. shauno

shauno

Most Lfs' should sell this.

It worked for me , it comes in a small lip balm type of tub with a small scoop/spoon.

12. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Slims, I had the same and let it run its course. I moved tanks and had a minicycle i think which caused. Ultimately, it sorts itself out. I put a scrubber on too which helped. I'm not a believer in quick fixes!!! esp. when it comes to algea. Surely, if you put a product in your tank that kills algae, its bound to kill other things (likely good) that you dont expect.

Good luck.

ps. my cyano bloom lasted about 6-8 weeks as far as I can remember.

13. robertkukla

robertkukla

when i got cyno i dropped the lightng period to only 3 hours, and added a airstone into the sump, i also added a scrubber it took about 3 weeks to fully clear, when i see it starting i just add the air to the sump and it stops it spreading

good luck
    remember what works for one might not work for others

14. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

hi Guys. just an update.

I removed the NP pellets from my setup and the RS went away. Also increased
    the flow which helped as well. Still got some GHA ... trying to tackle that now.

thanks for all the advice.

Recent Posts