Red Slime Algae Cure

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Ari, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Ari

Ari

Hey guys:) I'm sure you guys are tired of this topic but Im fed up cause i dont know what to do anymore. Ive got a 300L tank with lots of LR and a sump with DSB. A protein skimmer Dymax (rated 700L). When i came back from holiday (after a month) my sand and rocks were covered with red slime algae.I have removed most of it from the sand but the rocks are difficult cause it starts drifting everywhere. Im starting with water changes like always but will weekly water changes really help? Im planning on doing a 60L change. Last year all my corals just started dissappearing and i just want to get my reef up and going again. Please any suggestions :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hey Ari

yep its a subject that gets exhausted this time of year but if i were you i would be looking at what temperature your tank is running at 1st, secondly flow (as it increases oxygenation) and then your load (feeding aswell) in relation to your skimmer size.

elevated temperatures definatley are very common starters of cyano..

can you post some pics of your system so we can assit further?

dallasg likes this.
  4. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

tagging

5. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. leslie hempel

and temperature? is that the only pump you have in the DT?

7. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

To the right is a smaller pump that does 120L/h and the one you see does 600L/h

26 constant mabye 27

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your circulation pumps are not enough. Maybe get 2 SunSun 3000L/h pumps, they are cheap.

How often do you do a water change? I do 10% per week.

Temp needs to come down, 25 is better. Above 25 and this time of year you get cayno

And you are not alone. I got as well. Starting to get it under control.

9. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

RiaanP thanx for the advice. I made a stupid mistake I was meant to say I've got two pumps: one 1200L/h pump and one sunsun 6000L/h pump, sorry bout that. Last year towards the end I started doing water changes weekly, about 10%. But then I went on holiday. Today I'm doing a 60L water change and next week mabye again just to see how everything goes. I also want to ask if putting in corals at this stage will be fine? My green star polys are massive and coming out beautifully but my mushrooms are small and look like they disintegrating. Can cyano pollute the water so that the corals die? I see there are two shipments coming in at my LFS this week and next week, so I really want to get corals. Should I rather wait?

Thanx:)

10. leslie hempel

definatley wait on the addition of livestock because it will only compound the problem, your temp isnt bad but lower would be better.. as for the pumps perhaps play with their positioning to allow them more swift flow over the rockwork and i would perhaps up it a little..

you skimmer also doesnt seem to be cutting it.. unfortunatley they are not good skimmers and you would be better off with a more effieciently designed protein skimmer with a hiher airdraw..

in general i think you need to check salanity, and do frequent largish waterchanges in the next few changes, approx 50% and try to reduce the doc's in the system to allow you a better grip on the situation..

Recent Posts