Red Sea Star : Whodunnit?

JJF

Reaction score
Hi all,

I set up a 2ft nano tank a few months ago and keep mostly a few crabs, shrimps and softies. The only fishy inhabitant is a Banana Wrasse.

One of the first inhabitants was a Tile Sea Star, fromia monilis. It did so well in the tank, and then three weeks ago I noticed one of its legs had been chewed upon. On Sunday I found it dead on the sand, and it was obvious that it was not an accidental death...

I am trying to figure out who the likely culprit might be, maybe you guys can give some pointers? The suspects are:

1. Electric Blue Hermit Crab
2. Porcelain crab
3. Small boxing shrimp of the yellow variety
4. Fire Shrimp (this was the latest addition to the crew), and prime suspect in my books
5. Sexy shrimp
6. Turbo snail
7. Banana Wrasse
8. Two small bristle worms
9. Short spine sea urchin
10. A big, hairy, black crab, and while he certainly looks the part of a murderer, he lives in the sump and is thus the only one with an alibi.

I normally try and read up before I add new creatures, to prevent exactly this scenario, but it seems I missed something somewhere.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Maybe it died and some other things were eating the remains?
I'm also going with this option.

Unless the big black hairy crab a a night on the town in your display.

JJF

Reaction score
It had been chewed on about two weeks before it died. I camee home one eveningmto find it with half a leg missing.

459b

Reaction score
What were you feeding it?
Sea stars can be rather tricky to keep and are very susceptible to any parameter swings.

JJF

Reaction score
No, its just the normal sexy shrimp. I passed over a chance to buy a harlequin shrim the other day because I read that they eat sea stars.

In terms of feeding, I did not feed anything specifically for the sea star. From my reading it seems no one really knows what they eat? Some reckon they eat a specific type of algae. Since it has been around and active for almost six months, I reckon he did not die of starvation.

Top Bottom