Red Sea Salt formula - anybody

Reaction score
I am hoping that there are some mathematical geniuses in the group.

If 1kg of red sea salt mixed with 30L water gives you a specific gravity of 1.021, how could I determine how much salt I need to create 2L with a specific gravity of 1.015.

I know mix and measure is probably the easiest way, but I was wondering if there was a easier way to determine the weight

Thanks guys

With salt mixes, one has to mix the complete bag to get the correct values, so mix all the salt and adjust the water.
I know we all like to make a partial bag but its tje wrong way
Posted via Mobile Device

With salt mixes, one has to mix the complete bag to get the correct values, so mix all the salt and adjust the water.
I know we all like to make a partial bag but its tje wrong way
Posted via Mobile Device

First time I hear this. And I actually dont believe this.
Do you really think the salt manufacturers are mixing the quantity of each bag and fill it into a bag or bucket? No ways. The salt gets mixed by the ton and then filled into a kg, 5 kg, 10 kg or 20 kg. It might be possible that mixing small quantities from the same bag show different parameters after mixing, but it shouldn't.

@ Andre. Take 100 gram of the salt and mix it with RO water. Add RO water until you got the right salinity. Then you will know how much RO water has to be added per 100 gram salt. If you google it, you should find a table that shows how much salt per litre should be added to get the right salinity.

Thank you for the help, don't know why I did not just think of using a small quantity of salt to determine the value - blond moment.

DallasG, I also saw a article explaining the mixing of the entire bag of salt and although the article was very well written I could not help but agree with Luckyfish in as far as wondering if the manufacturers share the same opinion ?

Wonder what the official opinion from these companies would be ?

Thanks again for the help guys

Andre

When I called red sea in israel about a batch I had with wrong params they told me to mix it all etc, but do what u will
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the idea behind mixing the whole bag is because during transport and storage, some elements may settle towards the lower regions of the bag or bucket, naturally some of the elements or compounds in the salt will be heavier than others therefore the settling of certain contents may occur. Best is to give the bucket or bag a good shake or rumble around to mix the contents up nicely before making your water.

Last edited:
When I called red sea in israel about a batch I had with wrong params they told me to mix it all etc, but do what u will
Posted via Mobile Device

Hope I did not offend - your knowledge and opinion is valued and Viper also makes a very valuable point, I am in a slight jam because I need so little water at that salinity that it would not be worth mixing the bag.

Thanks again guys

No prob, why not buy 2L from a lfs, will be about R5
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

That was in my opinion an easy excuse to get rid of you.
I know, years ago we had problems with different salt mixes. That just happen and the chance is not very high that it comes out easily. The customer believes everything whats written on the product. Big mistake. What to do with an unhappy customer? You make up a story to calm him down.
We sent different additives to the lab and the results were shocking. Since then, I only use chemicals to mix what I need.

I think the idea behind mixing the whole bag is because during transport and storage, some elements may settle towards the lower regions of the bag or bucket, naturally some of the elements or compounds in the salt will be heavier than others therefore the settling of certain contents may occur. Best is to give the bucket or bag a good shake or rumble around to mix the contents up nicely before making your water.

agreed 100% I found I get a much more consistant mix when I mix alot. I normally do 800l at a time...

That was in my opinion an easy excuse to get rid of you.<br />
I know, years ago we had problems with different salt mixes. That just happen and the chance is not very high that it comes out easily. The customer believes everything whats written on the product. Big mistake. What to do with an unhappy customer? You make up a story to calm him down.<br />
We sent different additives to the lab and the results were shocking. Since then, I only use chemicals to mix what I need.
<br />
Ur glass always half full??<br />
<font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font>

Last edited:
Ur glass always half empty??
Posted via Mobile Device

No, it is always half full!
You musn't believe whats written on products. You get fooled every day from different suppliers. Products you use contains this and that and you just can't prove it. Especially beauty products are the biggest rip off.
I just want to tell you that you musn't believe everything you read or the people tell you.

;)
1.021, 1kg in 30L determined or written instruction?

...then 47-48g will give you closest to 1.015 sg, in 2L

But WHY do you need JUST 2L
or was that an arbitrary volume chosen for the question?

My calculation is based on YOUR GIVEN data for redsea...
Accuracy is determined by the mass/volume YOU have supplied

Last edited:
;)
1.021, 1kg in 30L determined or written instruction?

...then 47-48g will give you closest to 1.015 sg, in 2L

But WHY do you need JUST 2L
or was that an arbitrary volume chosen for the question?

My calculation is based on YOUR GIVEN data for redsea...
Accuracy is determined by the mass/volume YOU have supplied

Obi-Wan,

Now that is impressive. After having gone the route of using less salt in a smaller amount of water I came to the conclusion that the figure was double that given by you in this reply and of course YOU WERE RIGHT. (pity the message only got here now, would have saved a lot of salt).

I needed the smaller quantity for some shrimp (brackish water) who were moving to cleaner water while the tank was getting the cleaning it needed.

Really appreciate your help - and WELL DONE, still not a clue on how you determined this figure but awsome either way ?

The amounts given were from the Red Sea Salt packaging. :thumbup:

:biggrin:You're most welcome, and Sorry for late reply

saw thread posts and nobody had given you an idea as yet... I guessed you didnt make saltmix

Within reason I can quickly determine to within 1-2% almost any salt mass/H2O Volume , and salinity without calculator or pen/paper , and so can YOU

:pwith enough calculation and repeated experience.

PS it's all about KNOWN Ratio Proportion Percentage relationships
(counting T and other effects)

Keep well!

Last edited:
:biggrin:You're most welcome, and Sorry for late reply

saw thread posts and nobody had given you an idea as yet... I guessed you didnt make saltmix

Within reason I can quickly determine to within 1-2% almost any salt mass/H2O Volume , and salinity without calculator or pen/paper , and so can YOU

:pwith enough calculation and repeated experience.

PS it's all about KNOWN Ratio Proportion Percentage relationships
(counting T and other effects)

Keep well!

O.K you deserve the bragging rights :razz: next time I will PM you - maths was obviously not my forte and "ratio proportion percentage" still sounds like something I would rather not try and understand.

Thanks again and best wishes - I am so impressed

Back
Top Bottom