Red Sea Max C-250

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by StrayTang, 14 Nov 2014.

1. StrayTang

StrayTang

Well i have been doing alot of digging,

As i would like to go abit bigger than the boyu i have now,
    And i have looked at alot of tanks, innovative Marine, jewel, red sea, boyu, custom,

Before i started i set my self a size limit of around 250ltrs,

I have narrowed it down to the i feel the best in that range,
    The New C-Series Red Sea,

The RSM C250 really looks the part

Does anyone have any experience with this tank?

Regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

Look at threads posted by @tekkengal......she is the master of these tanks.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    tekkengal and Fred d like this.
  4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Lol, thanks @Dexter ! @StrayTang
    I really love these tanks, they are definitely one of the better plug and play tanks around (but they are facing some stiff competition from emerging competitors like the innovative range etc).

The filtration setup in the rear chambers have changed compared to the 250 that I have. There is now more space to accomodate a media rack (which comes with the c series) and an upgraded skimmer. The overflow is now static,i.e it cannot be moved however this function is now on the skimmer itself. This can get tricky to set as you will have to go directly to the skimmer to adjust the amount of water going into it as opposed to adjusting the grate in the front. If you set up the water levels right and ensure that it is maintained it should not be a hassle to keep on checking on the skimmer.

The previous range had curved glass which has now been done away with and replaced with edged corners. I think this is most likely due to some of the curved corners cracking.

The tank can support sps corals and clams with the standard lighting which helps future proof the tank somewhat if you start off with softies and then decide to go the sps route.

You *can* add a sump later on, would some some interesting DIY skills but it can be done. The one thing that would concern me about this route is that the cabinets on the c range are still wood base. They do not have the aluminum frames that the 400s onwards come with. Basically this implies that there is the potential for the cabinets to swell and rot as the years go by due to water seepage/humidity that will occur from a sump. I have run my tank for three years now without a sump and the livestock, tank and cabinet are fine.

If you want to upgrade the skimmer at a later stage you may have difficulty due to the space constraints at the back of the tank.

Size wise, the 250 range is very manageable to maintain and you can keep a decent amount of stock in it. The 250 gave me the best understanding of how water parameters should be maintained and the workings of a tank compared to the little nano that I started off with.

The is one thing that you should be aware of though with this tank, Red Sea have announced an e series tank to be launched next year some time. This range has LEDs instead of the t5 tubes and a sump, this range will most likely replace the c series:
    New RSM E Series Tanks - Marine Aquariums South Africa

As the c series is relatively new, there may be some stores that have excess of the old d series (curved glass tanks) left over, you may get a better price on these tanks as they are being phased out.

Hope this helps! Please ask if you need anymore info, I may not respond immediately due to a few things happening in my life at the moment but I will respond as soon as I get a chance.

5. Dexter

Dexter

Awsome write up @tekkengal...you see even myself learned something from this. Well done!!!!!!!"

tekkengal and TaahirS like this.
  6. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

RSM 250. You wont go wrong.

:m106:

Recent Posts