Red Sea Max 650 - Temperature

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by Yskas, 11 Oct 2018.

1. Yskas

Yskas

Hi fellow RSM owners

I started the hobby about 2 years ago with a second hand RSM 250. I ran that with success but also rookie mistakes that cost me livestock.

Luckily we learn quickly!! So like most i was not long before the itch for more started. I upgraded to a RSM 650 about a year ago...what a joy as the volume of water makes the swings in nutrients and temp more controllable.

With me 250, running without a chiller and T5 lights I had the hood up more than down peaking at 30 degrees in summer and generally ran my tank hot at between 26.5-28.5

With the new 650 came new toys. Great chiller, both cooling and heating, and imported LEDs to fit in between the T5s. I ran the T5s till about April when I went 100% LED. With the chiller and LEDs I set the chiller at 26 with a one degree variance up and down and no heaters switched on as I stay in Western Cape.

With one of the one chiller pipes becoming blocked and me not having the time to de-plumb everything to get to it I switched off the chiller. The temp raised to 27.8 where it basically stays constant throughout the day and night.

Here is the question: What is the ideal temp running fish, SPS and LPS? I know what the books say but taking into account that I ran my previous tank hot, will a general and CONSTANT range of 27-28 degrees be OK long term?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Guest

3. 2una

2una

I run sps on my 650 & my tank sits 27.5 - it has a chiller coming on at 28
    Come summer you'll get bit without dealing with it somehow tho
    Colour/growth all is fine at that temp else i'd be turning it back down

Heres a good read here
    http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

Last edited: 11 Oct 2018
  4. OP
    Yskas

Yskas

Thank you, will have a read.

5. OP
    Yskas

Yskas

I will also be setting my chiller so that it activates if tank gets to 28 so it stays between 27-28.

6. OP
    Yskas

Yskas

How long have you been running the tank, and secondly how long at that temp?

7. OP
    Yskas

Yskas

Can you also post or PM me some tank pics so that I can see what your corals look like. Even a video would be nice. Thank you in advance

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

Probably ok if it is constant, I like to run it cooler at 24-25C, more oxygen for the fish, and also as I keep some borderline temperate species like lennardi wrasse and local zoanthids.

9. OP
    Yskas

Yskas

My Regal Angel ate all my zoas, so that she could be "the prettiest of them all"

10. 2una

2una

Be over a year i've been running that temp
    Is a tank thread here - https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/2unas-rsm-650-mixed-reef.65069/
    If you start at the end & work backwards there is recent pics & vid mixed in there

Recent Posts