Red Sea Max 650 - Temperature

Reaction score
Hi fellow RSM owners

I started the hobby about 2 years ago with a second hand RSM 250. I ran that with success but also rookie mistakes that cost me livestock.

Luckily we learn quickly!! So like most i was not long before the itch for more started. I upgraded to a RSM 650 about a year ago...what a joy as the volume of water makes the swings in nutrients and temp more controllable.

With me 250, running without a chiller and T5 lights I had the hood up more than down peaking at 30 degrees in summer and generally ran my tank hot at between 26.5-28.5

With the new 650 came new toys. Great chiller, both cooling and heating, and imported LEDs to fit in between the T5s. I ran the T5s till about April when I went 100% LED. With the chiller and LEDs I set the chiller at 26 with a one degree variance up and down and no heaters switched on as I stay in Western Cape.

With one of the one chiller pipes becoming blocked and me not having the time to de-plumb everything to get to it I switched off the chiller. The temp raised to 27.8 where it basically stays constant throughout the day and night.

Here is the question: What is the ideal temp running fish, SPS and LPS? I know what the books say but taking into account that I ran my previous tank hot, will a general and CONSTANT range of 27-28 degrees be OK long term?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Reaction score
I will also be setting my chiller so that it activates if tank gets to 28 so it stays between 27-28.

Reaction score
How long have you been running the tank, and secondly how long at that temp?

Reaction score
Can you also post or PM me some tank pics so that I can see what your corals look like. Even a video would be nice. Thank you in advance

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Probably ok if it is constant, I like to run it cooler at 24-25C, more oxygen for the fish, and also as I keep some borderline temperate species like lennardi wrasse and local zoanthids.

Reaction score
My Regal Angel ate all my zoas, so that she could be "the prettiest of them all"