Red Sea MAX 250

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ZeroCool, 23 Nov 2009.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi guys, i want to know more about the following tank "Red Sea MAX 250".

I saw one at my local pet store for R20K ... stunning tank.

If any pet stores are reading this ... can anyone get it cheaper ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Quite a popular tank overseas as it's generally made specifically for marines and apparently has pretty decent lighting etc.

4. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

jip, i saw one and wow, i am in love, but i am spending that on a tank, lol !

20K ... mmm, a bit on the pricey side !

5. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

Im also very tempted, mostly cause of the "all in one" factor, im in a small flat so i would want something like that. the price is the only issue, that and convincing the GF to allow it :p

6. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

well, i started a second hand BUYO TL550, and it is running like a dream, but i want to go bigger !

jip, GF's are sometimes issues, ask me, i know ! lol

7. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

i e-mailed her the brochure, will see what her reply is :p

8. H0nda42

H0nda42

HI Zero, that is a nice setup. Having done a all in one setup before it's a great starter. Pretty soon however you are going to wanting to go bigger. My suggestion would be to plan a build and do it over a bit of time. A 1200l x 700w x 55h is a great size and can be done in 10mm glass. If you shop around you can find a pretty good builder and design the overflow parameters etc. A simple steel tube stand will suffice, and can be powder coated - colour of your choice - or galvanised. Some basic plumbing, a 3 compartment sump (skimmer chamber, dsb and return) will be fine. If you start shopping around for lighting units you will probably find a 2nd hand unit by the time this is ready, alternatively, I built one and co-ordinated it in with my stand colours. I got a cabinet maker to bolt doors onto my steel frame and this now matches my furniture. Shopping around, especially for 2nd hand skimmers pumps etc can bring the prices down if you get some great deals. However, in the end you will probably spend the same, however you will probably end up with a tank more customised to your needs or tastes. It will also be more bang for buck and certainly bigger in size. The built in lights of the built up units is cannot compete with a homemade unit if you go bigger than 4 x T5. So play around. Get quotes and enjoy the process.
    Good luck!

9. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

lol, well, if she says yes, which i doubt it big time, she will say, cool, spend that on you, and then spend that on me as well !

10. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

I took my GF to Northlands pets this weekend and showed her all the display tanks, then showed her the RedSea tanks they had on display, she seemed interested, we were then chatting to the lady behind the desk and she got more and more interested, on the way home she decided that "yes, I like the tank, its all really neat and its not too big" so YAY! I'm allowed to get one ... just have to tile the flat first. haha, sux!

11. chops

chops

i saw the the smaller one at lfs for R1600.00 very nice looking tank but a bit 2 much for me

12. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

hi there, and, how much did they quote you for the 250 system ?

that is great news ! mmm, i evy you !

enjoy !

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

hi there, mmm, are you sure it was the Red Sea Max 130 for R1600 ? If that is the price, buy it NOW ! they go for over R10K !

14. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

the 250 is 22k and the 130 is 16k, so i think chops means R16 000
    the issue is I could never MAKE anything that neat for that amount of money and its the neatness that I want, I know some shops sell the tanks cheaper so I will shop round a bit before I actually buy one, also need to get a definite out the GF if i can get the 250 or 130, Im sure you guys know which one I want :p I also have some time since we want to tile the flat over December, so we'll tile shop this week and try get someone in to tile for us. cant put a fish tank then try tile round it!

15. lIghty

lIghty

They are about the 20K mark, but its probably the best PLUG N PLAY tanks I've seen, for those that don't want to spend a fortune on building a tank, 20K sounds alot, but if you do concider build do your home work properly and you'll soo see you'll spend more on building a DECENT tank with cabinets, light, skimmers etc.

16. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

good morning, i am 100% with you.

I bought a BUYO TL550 about 5 months ago, and wow, stunning stuff. the only negative thing i can say about it, is has more than 10 plugs (power points), because i did some mods on the tank.

Jip, if you want to buy a tank, setup it up, add water and no issues, buy the MAX 230 if your budget allow it. I love plug and play stuff, it is less complicated, but for the adventerious out there, who wants to create, design etc, go custom.

Recent Posts