Red Sea max 250 Skimmer Impeller R690.00

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by Mr Smith, 7 Oct 2014.

1. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Hi

I have had my tank for +- 3 years and I have noticed the skimmer impeller does not last and spares for the skimmer impellers are hard to come by.

1: First impeller the plastic molding around the magnet cracked, salt water seeped in and the magnet started to swell ( Covered under warranty)

2: Second impeller, pieces of the shaft started to break off which then did not allow the impeller to spin freely and wore out the bushes. (Tank out of warranty)

I then placed an order for a new skimmer impeller R690.00. :m79:I feel that this is a little over the top. I had no choice, I needed it. I placed the order. It took Moltons +- one and a half months to get stock of it. By then my water quality had degraded.

I collected the skimmer impeller. The plastic molding on it was so poor. The impeller was out of balance when spinning and one of the little spikes on the blade was missing.
    I sent it back and received another.

What also concerned me is that the new skimmer impeller does not come supplied with new bushes. I asked about ordering new bushes and I was told that I would have to buy a whole new skimmer pump for that.

Have you guys had the same problems? Do you know of another complete skimmer unit that I can buy that will fit in the back of the RSM 250?

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I am sure one of the tunze would fit in the back @Anita

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Skimmer impellers are generally very expensive. I recently replaced a reef octopus impeller at R1200. It is just one of those things unfortunatly.

5. jimilutz

jimilutz

The impeller on my Aquaria skimmer went and even though it was still in warranty, I did not want to courier the pump away and wait for goodness knows how long for a replacement. I got a quote for a new impeller, R1200 then saw a Sicce skimmer pump at Lifestyle which was made for RSM skimmers and it had the exact same sized impeller R1100 (old stock). Now I also have spare bushes, the bottom one had also gone on my skimmer. Looks like a Sicce issue?

6. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Thread Starter

I received the impeller.
    Fitted and running again

Recent Posts