Red Sea Max 250... on the verge

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by COMMANDO, 29 Apr 2011.

1. COMMANDO

COMMANDO

Hi all

As some of you know, I have been on the market for a RED SEA MAX 250 setup. I have made contact with a few LFS's and have received a couple of quotes... some good, some not so good.

I am now on the verge of purchasing one and this is now your last opportunity to CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE. I have already received input on some other threads, but thought it best to start a thread just about this query.

By the way, I am a newbie (New to SW, but been in FW for years).

I know that it is pricey (1st negative that gets brought up). My wife has given the thumbs up and she loves the look of the RSM 250... I must agree that it looks stunning. Other comments have been that I can get a better & bigger DIY setup for the same price... well a DIY just doesn't look as good, and the RSM will fit the spot perfectly. Because it's in a "public" area in the house, I would like a tank that has the looks to boot.

I have touched base with a lot of RSM owners, and most comments have been good.

Please provide any comments (good or bad) on this thread... your input will be much appreciated.

By the way, to all of those who have already commented on this topic: A BIG THANK YOU! :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndrévN

AndrévN

Check the junkmail online seen some nice tanks in ct for dirt cheap. Don't know the sea max products so can't comment as i use custom built ones.

4. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

Thanks! Not many RSM's in the junkmail ads... this is also a good sign that people don't have a reason to get rid of their RSM setups.

5. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

By the way, if any Sponsors want to PM me some more prices on RSM units, please feel free! Although I must say that one of the sponsors on this forum has offered exceptional service and follow-up advice and has almost secured a new client!;)

6. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Go For it

I have seen the RSM250 and I am impressed. For a person who is starting out who wants a great looking neat setup and with all the right components to keep a basic reef going this is the ticket. If you find yourself hopelessly in love with reef keeping after your purchase this is where you are going to hit a brick wall because this will be not be your 1st and last setup but just the begining of the next step.
    Please let me know what the best price quote was u received
    Reef Surgeon

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

People sell them when they want a bigger tank.. They are good tanks and you will be happy with it :) .. How much did you get quoted for? Ill keep a look out for u

8. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

The prices have varied from approx R12k to R20K... guess which one I will be choosing.

Let me know if there is cheaper out there or if a sponsor wants to beat the price, just PM me.

9. Evo R

Evo R

In my opinion.....if you can afford it, go for it.
    Just take into account certain things....

Cons'
    1. At some point you will want to change things or upgrade to a bigger tank.
    2. If you want to modify or replace anything you are very limited in that regard.
    3. Many people complain about heat issues, so a chiller might be in the pipeline in the near future.
    4. If you ever have to sell it, you'll be lucky if you get 2/3 of your money back.

Pros'
    1. Looks very impresive!
    2. A total complete plug n play setup.
    3. Everything included is more than adequit(mind the spelling ek is eintlik afrikaans) for a begginer starting out with marines.(T5 lights ect.)
    4. Did i mention it looks great?
    5. Everything was designed to work perfectly togeter, from the factory.
    6. Ive heard that RSM gives great aftersales backup.

These are just some of the things to consider.

10. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

Thank a million Evo R :)

I guess that my mind is almost made up... probs gonna buy the setup first and then follow it up in a month (when I have funds again) with the aragonite, LR and H2O!

I am gonna budget for a chiller (or just get an aircon for our dining room;), although apparently the heat is from the pumps, not the lights, there are conflicting reasons advanced iro the heating issue)... I suspect that climate is most to blame, not the build of the RSM.

11. Evo R

Evo R

No its deffenitly dependend on the weather.And Lucky for you, its in the beggining of winter so you'll only realy have to worry about a chillers in 6 - 8 months from now.

And to be honest.....if i had 12k for a new tank and say another 5k for LR and LS id buy the RSM250 in a hart beat!! But thats just me:whistling:

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

I will check around.. Would u consider a 2nd hand one?

13. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

Always willing, if it is in good nic!

Ta!

14. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry guys I tend to agree to disagree.

I have NOTHING against "prefab tanks" as such, but having built a lot of tanks ...and seen a lot I would much rather go for a custom made system.

Simple reason...it can be designed with the end result in mid. Prefabs will always have limitations.

With the type of budget you are talking about, you can build one hell of a system, which will look just as good , maybe even better than prefab. Just a lot of planning and patience is needed

15. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

Thanks for the input FransSny, duly noted.

This is something that I have batttled with and the number one concern that I hear from most. You see, we only have about one metre or so available in the dining room, so going bigger is not an option. Secondly, it will really take a great design and "cabinet" to have the same effect and finish as the RSM.

I do, however, have a backup plan: If I want to go bigger, I have a braai room / wash room where my current 1.2 metre FW Oscar tank is standing... there is still space for another 2 metre PLUS size tank which I can then make SW... don't plan on dumping my beloved Oscars... we can then tinker around with a custom made after I have found my wings!

I just need a basic startup tank which will teach me the basics in SW...

THANK YOU FOR THE FEEDBACK:thumbup:

16. FransSny

FransSny

No probs bud, just voicing my personal opinion. On that note

You dont need the biggest and baddest tank to have an awesome reef...look at the nano forums and even some of the local guys. The only reason why I personally prefer custom made is I can design the "final system at the start, drill holes for reactors , make place for ATU etc etc. and add all the nice to haves as budget allows.

Also IMHO easier to learn on than a constrained setup.

COMMANDO likes this.
  17. COMMANDO

COMMANDO Thread Starter

I'm with you... I first had my eye on the Boyu Tl 550, but then my wife and I decided to rather try and fill the gap in our dining room with a tank with a bit more "presence", so the RSM was the next best thing. I am considering getting a Boyu at a later stage for my office.

If I need a DIY job, I am gonna run to you for help!

Please stay in touch and follow my threads,I need all the tips I can get... also it's great hearing it from a fellow Capetonian.

P.S. GO STORMERS!:peroni:

18. Tony

Tony

Frans, you took the words out of my mouth. You can have a decent tank built for the price of a RSM with decent bells and whistles which you can design the way you want. You may still have a bit of money for your live rock and water after everything. I just dont know of any tank builders in CT

19. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

To be honest these Red Sea Max tanks are hard to beat, they offer a turn key package in a neat little space which is etreemly well finished off and aesthetically appealing to everyone. And this seems exactly what Cammando is looking for, there isnt a huge market for these systems but I think that its sounds like this tank fits your needs better than any other.

Trev

20. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

And yes GGGGGOOOOOO STORMMMERRSSS

21. seank

seank

You have a fever???? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :p

I am a loyal Bulls Supporter

Recent Posts