Red Sea Max 130

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by clulis, 21 Feb 2012.

1. clulis

clulis

I have just purchased a new Red Sea Max 130, and would appreciate any comments from fellow tank owners.
    I set up the system on Sunday, making my own RO water and adding Red Sea Coral salts. Have put in 3 pieces of live rock from my smaller tank and some Natal purple zoo's just as a tester. My substrate is crushed coral. So far everything seems OK - salinity spot on.
    As far as the skimmer vs water level is concerned I am battling to get the balance right. The skimmer cup is filling up virtually in a 12 hour period, but I find if i lift the skimmer valve up, I lose the foam and the water level indicator drops below the ideal level. I have even tried adjusting the air intake - but just as you get one part right so another goes wrong.

Can anyone suggest how I can get this right.

I would also welcome ideas as to what fish/coral stock does well in this type/size tank!
    I will move 2 clowns and a skunk cleaner shrimp into this tank once it is stabilized

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

Hi clulis,

Welcome to masa.

I stand to be corrected here: But I've been running a skimmer now or a couple months and find that i only generate the foam after a feeding, the skimmers purpose as far as i understand it is to remove nasties before they become part of the water. so hence you may be having issues with balancing the skimmer, what you may want to do, is run your skimmer so the bubbles are half way up the neck of your skimmer and leave it at that, then once you get feeding and fish get a poo'ing the skimmer will start skimming the nasties out..

:thumbup:

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A skimmer will only skim if there is dissolved organic compounds to remove, so it will take a while. Also the tank and skimmer is new and the skimmer needs to "break in" as the oils and other stuff from the factory must wear off.
    Please read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info on tank cycle :)

5. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Consider changing the skimmer to Tunze,
    and upgrade the lighting , whenever you had the money;)

6. clulis

clulis Thread Starter

Red Sea Max 130D

Hi, and thanks to everyone for the advice.

Another question that i have:

My tank has an enormous amount of bubbles accumulating on the rear glass, the substrate and to a lesser extent the live rock?? Why is this??

I also have a pale green algae ( almost powder like) forming on the glass and the substrate. I am cleaning it off every other day - but it keeps returning.

Have reduced my daylight hours to 6 hours, and regularly clean the skimmer cup and sponge.

I only have 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp and two small groups of Natal Purple Zoanthids in the tank.

HELP!!!!

7. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Check your nitrate and phosphate level for the algae,
    The bubbles are most probably from the skimmer,
    and make sure the surface skimmer is not too high,
    Make sure the water easily flows to the filtration chamber.

8. clulis

clulis Thread Starter

Thanks, will get the water tested tomorrow.

Do you advise taking the surface skimmer off as opposed to lowering it ???

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  9. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

I was referring to the Adjustable height surface skimmer

[​IMG]
    You can't take it off, Unless you have a different skimmer installed, if you take it off the surface will be covered with oily stuff, just lower it a couple of millimeters so that the water runs throughly,
    I remember some RSM130D generation had a problem with the skimmer pump,
    When did you buy your tank? If the problem resists you need to change the skimmer pump
    Speak to the LFS where you bought the tank from, they'll do it for free.

Recent Posts