Reaction score
What would make a nice addition to my tank

Red Sea Fan

seapic01-06_se04.jpg

Source: Sea and Sky - Explore the skies above and the oceans below

Christmas Tree Coral

Soft-coral-Christmas-tree1.jpg

Source: Reef Tank

Warr - My personal opinion about that specific sea fan, is that they don't survive too well in a lot of marine tanks. Unless you can feed phyto/zoo plankton very heavily (and have the export filtration to handle it), then these corals don't usually survive.
BUT - I could be mistaken. I have 2 sea fan's in my tank - they are indeed awesome, BUT, mine are indeed photosynthetic (the "normal" bland brown'ish/pink'ish coloration of a lot of soft-corals)..... And they are flourishing....

If you are indeed already feeding phyto/zoo plankton - then I think the sea fan is more colorful and would do any tank justice....

The christmas tree soft-coral is something I have not seen before. Very interesting indeed.... Will need feeding though....

Thanks J, this is the idea, some interesting corals that won't be insanely difficult to look after. I will check the exact species to check if it is photosynthetic or not.

Jacques is right about the Red Sea Fan, it will require constant feeding of the correct foods in order to sustain it, if I remember correctly it doesn't require light to grow, only manual feeding, possibly a product like Marine Snow. No idea about the Christmas Tree coral.

Jacques is right about the Red Sea Fan, it will require constant feeding of the correct foods in order to sustain it, if I remember correctly it doesn't require light to grow, only manual feeding, possibly a product like Marine Snow. No idea about the Christmas Tree coral.

Sorry Viper, I have to ask this.

It requires constant feeding like something else I have - Fish :whistling:

Yeah but with fish you just dump the food in the tank and they come looking for it, personally I can't be bothered with target feeding corals, way too much time and effort :p

Yeah but with fish you just dump the food in the tank and they come looking for it, personally I can't be bothered with target feeding corals, way too much time and effort :p

SO I must find a mobile coral :lol:

That's correct Warr - unfortunately they are not AS pretty (colorful) as the red sea fan, but they are still an awesome sight in my tank, as they grow easy, fast and big...

Any idea, where you can get locally ?

Hhhhhmm - unfortunately not in Jhb - I know that the LFS that used to be here in Cape Town cbd got them quite often. Not sure if AQuality gets any in though.

Aqua Concepts is the LFS that used to be in Cape Town cbd...

Aqua concepts is in Paarden Eiland now behind builders warehouse. They didnt have any the other day when I was there.

Well look, if you think you can keep up with the manual feeding regime then go for it, remember that lady from Ultimate Reef that posted her tank here with all the different coloured fans and gorgonians etc.? It's definitely doable, you will just have to watch the feeding and what you feed, especially with it being very fine particled food. You have an efficient skimmer that will remove any excess food, hopefully, your clean up crew is sufficient (I hope :p). Think about it, at least give it a try with the Red Sea fan, you can't not buy something as pretty as that :p

Well look, if you think you can keep up with the manual feeding regime then go for it, remember that lady from Ultimate Reef that posted her tank here with all the different coloured fans and gorgonians etc.? It's definitely doable, you will just have to watch the feeding and what you feed, especially with it being very fine particled food. You have an efficient skimmer that will remove any excess food, hopefully, your clean up crew is sufficient (I hope :p). Think about it, at least give it a try with the Red Sea fan, you can't not buy something as pretty as that :p

You reckon it will eat Tang poo :p

Back
Top Bottom