Red Sea Coral Pro Salt - Please help

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Reaper, 31 Oct 2014.

1. Reaper

Reaper

Hi all.

Firstly, not sure if this is in the correct forum, so mods please move if there's a more suitable one...

So, I started my nano, and used the RED SEA CORAL PRO SALT mix. Used the required amount of salt, tested salinity etc, and it's correct. The problem is, the water stays milky, and there's a white layer of milky substance over everything. Apparently this is a byproduct of the new range of the mix, but I can't seem to get the water clear. What can I do to sort out this problem? It's so bad I can't even see the live rock in the tank... :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Franna29

Franna29

Just a guess, but can't it be a bacterial bloom as well.. with the live rock and the cycle of the tank together with the byproduct effect ?

4. Istio

Istio

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

We mix allot of the " New batch " and never had that problem , you can put a air stone in and the extra o2 may help .
    But
    I actually think its the calcium powder /dust in the arraganite that made it milky.
    It needs to be washed allot and when filling the tank , the water going in should not disturb the arraganite, rather pour it in onto a plate and let it gently run over the gravel.

If you agree it could be that , use seachem Clarity and put a nice amount of fine filter floss in the filter to catch the bound particles of dust out.
    You may need to rinse the filter sponges after , but it works well to floculate fine particles out of suspension.
    D

6. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Thanx for all the feedback.

I drained half the tank earlier today and mixed the water better with a home made spatula on a drill. That already helped some, seeing as I read some international forums about this salt and those people reckoned you should mix this salt way more.

It might also be the substrate, but seeing as its alive aragonite, washing is out of the question.

I added Clarity about an hour ago, and I must say it looks like an improvement already. Will keep you all up to date with the progress.

7. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

cool , good luck

8. Jason

Jason

With Dave on this one.

I use the same salt and bought the new batch that came in 2 or 3 weeks back. Never had this issue starting my tank and doing my water changes but i once had your problem, not as much as you mentioned but it came from me not cleaning the arraganite thoroughly...

9. Jason

Jason

I mix mine for about 4 hours, i can notice after 2 all the salt has dissolved but i mix and extra 2 hours just to make sure everything mixed.

Washing live sand will make no difference in the sand. Live sand is actually dead sand, all living creatures need oxygen to live and those bags are sealed tight for months, washing it would not have made a difference with regards to "living" creatures in the sand...

The powder in the araganite is from the small pieces scraping/bumping each other making powder, Live Sand does have very little water and i believe this can also happen with wet sand. Just my 2c, not braking down a product as i used it also in the past with no pros or cons.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2014
    Reaper likes this.
  10. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Thanx Jason,

I'll monitor the tank and let it settle on its own (keeps fijiting in it lol...)

I also think more and more its the aragonite, seeing as the water I mixed earlier was nice and clear.

11. Zuna

Zuna

never ever had that problem with redsea salt

12. Jason

Jason

@Reaper, I see you stay close to me. When your tank settled ill have a few frags by then as my zoas are multiplying like crazy. Im in Brackenfell

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Oh yes... that'll be great Jason. Thanks buddy. Will definitely take you up on that. Do you have copepods in your tank also? Will be needing some seeing as I just have to have a mandarin

14. Jason

Jason

Haha, yes i have a few im trying to get multiplying for a Mandarin or Ruby Red Dragonet also...

Will be adding some cheato next week so hope when your tank is ready ill have a ball for you with some copepods...

15. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Lekkerrrrrr! Can't wait. I'm like a kid in a candy store on christmas eve lol

16. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

If you want the copiapods to Breed faster, supply them with ample food - Phyto and Zoo plankton - mine never grew that fast as when i fed them.
    D

17. Woo Tang

Woo Tang

18. Jason

Jason

@Woo Tang

I dont agree with all of that...

I mixed above 20deg and below, i mixed more than 4 hours plenty of times, in fact i think the last time i mixed for 4 hours was when i had to mix water fast. Almost every time i put the mix on at night and do the change in the morning...

19. Woo Tang

Woo Tang

@Jason

Just based on past experience bud... same is stated on the label and the video posted in the link... water was cloudy and this was noticed in a QT tank (ran out of the cheaper salt I use for QT hahaha!) So there was no sand to stir up... water stood for about 7 hours heated to 25 degrees, water volume 25 litres...

20. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

After my last water change I realized it's not the salt that caused the most part of the cloudiness. It was in fact the Live Sand that I didn't wash...

And I followed the instructions with the water change, water was clear when I finished mixing

21. Jason

Jason

Yeah did notice they stating that on there labels...

I mixed once, thing just over 5 hours and there was still undissolved matter at the bottom, i used a 2000lph pump in a 20l drum, it was making waves. Never had this again with the same bucket of salt.

Everyone's experience with the same product does differ. Think air pressure, water conditions plays a role.

Recent Posts