Red saddles anthias not eating

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Selwyn123, 22 Sep 2012.

1. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 BakGat

Hi guys, as the title suggests i bought me a anthias yesterday at the LFS. This guy has come out of hiding and i have tried feeding him the following with no success of getting him to eat:

Live adult brine shrimp
    Bloodworm
    crushed nutrafin omega flakes

I have heard about trying mysis shrimp? I am also going to try feeding newly hatched brine tonight/tomorrow morning. I know these fish are hard to get eating prepared foods, so can anyone toss in some suggestions as to what i should do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Try lobster eggs.
    [​IMG]

Or Reef paste.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Sep 2012
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Found this for you...I hope it has some use for you...:blush:
    http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...aria-two-deepwater-anthias-pacific-kevin.html
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=208204

Something you might want to consider...but if I'm not mistaken, you'r Tank Temp is cooler isn't it...? I'm sure you had local Rock Nennies and lowered you'r Temp..?
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=36441

5. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 Thread Starter BakGat

Thanks so much Belinda, it helped a lot. Thanks as well @Nemos Janitor. Luckily the anthias is the only fish in the tank now, so it can get used to its surroundings.

Will keep up to date on how the saddled anthias goes :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Selwyn123

just bought cyclops, so I am going to give that a try.

7. Helga

Helga

@Selwyn123
    You right, Anthias are not the easiest fish to get to eat!!!! And to make matters worse, they need 3 to 4 feeds a day when theyre undernourished. I have managed to save Anthias that has been on the verge of dying with feeding fish roe 4 times a day. If you cannot find fish roe (normal hake fish eggs)from your local fish monger, you could try the Ocean Nutrition Lobster eggs, but I found the individual eggs are much smaller and I have not had as big success with it. Soak the eggs in Brightwells Microvore for a few minutes before feeding. Just take care not to overfeed the tank, as it will push up your nutrients.

8. Selwyn123

Thanks Helga, its so difficult cause i have been reccomended so many products to get this fish feeding. asked LFS today and "apparently" the anthias feeds readily on newly hatched brine shrimp, so i am going to try that tonight. Otherwise, i will try the lobster eggs, whilst looking around for fish roe. I have my skimmer running 24/7 in conjuction with NO: PO4-x so lets hope the display can handle the extra nutrients till it can be skimmed out :)

9. Helga

Helga

I hope you get them to eat!

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Artemia nauplii definitely a winner. You need a lot of "action" in the water to entice and invoke a feeding response. Reduced flow and a swarm of artemia will work.
    What helps as well is when they notice a feeding response to stimuli by other fish, hence I recommend they be added after something like chromis.
    Please bear in mind that anthias are mostly shoaling fush, so one as the only inhabitant will do little to ease its stress. But your lfs should have told you that?
    And yes, they need a constant supply of feed. Got my school to feed by turning off pumps, throwing in a few thousand enriched newly hatched artemia for a few days. Hardly a concern wrt nutrients, as the other fish corals inverts would get to them... Thereafter, followed by a regular pulse feed of artemia, slowly added snoek roe to the artemia and within a week weaned them off the brineshrimp.

11. Selwyn123

well good news.... the anthias ate readily on the newly hatched brine shrimp. now i need to get consistent cultures of this stuff going to keep the fish fed

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Not quite. Start mixing a similarly suzed food in when feeding, as once the feeding response is triggered, it is easy to get them off it. Also, bear in mind that nauplii has got hardly any nutritional value, unless gut loaded.

13. Selwyn123

so i should mix other foods in with the nauplii such as cyclops?

Recent Posts