Red on base of pelvic fin

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Tobes, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Guys, a friend of mine bought this yellow tang but it got hammered by his scopa's a bit. We took it out the same night and I took him to my place as I have a quarantine tank. After a day I noticed the fish has fin rot, the tipical white fluff on the edge of some of the fins. I started to treat him with Myxazin. Now, 5 days later, I saw that it is red around the base on one of the pelvic fins (fin is still there). Most of the white fluff has dissappeared and receided. So my question, is this red just because of the rot that is on the fin or is it starting to eat the flesh? Usually on humans the sore is still red around the area days after it healed, does the same apply to fish? What do you think?
    Sorry for pic quality, he doesn't want to pose so lekka :whistling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

brusing, and then susequent infection.. you know trhe drill after that :)

4. Tobes

Tobes Thread Starter Retired Moderator

But is the medicine OK, or is there something better to use that is more effective? So basically only time will tell. They say you have to "wait" 48 hrs before changing treatment, so will do another 5 days after that.
    At least he is eating, giving him mysis soaked in vita-chem and Ocean Nutrition brine shrimp flakes a few times per day.

5. leslie hempel

tobes in the early days i soaked my foods in myxazin..

tetra was one of the first foods to come out with a bacterial food/medicin.

but to change meds one to another type i would skim, run carbon for 6 hours and perhaps even do a small waterchange before changing over..

6. Jeann1

Jeann1

Whats the drill after that ?

7. leslie hempel

good clean water and alot of vitimin enriched foods.. if i pull a fish out of my coral tank i go copperbased treatements as i want to properly eradicate any suspicious goggos..

i have a yellow with a bad bacterial infection of some sort and it has cleared up almost 85% on its own and i had basically written the fish off.. all i can do is feed and feed properly and its working...

8. Tobes

Tobes Thread Starter Retired Moderator

He gets clean water and vitamin enriched food and he is eating. So will start a new 5 day treatment after the 48 hours elapsed - just in case.

Recent Posts